Problem with adding in-app advertising when submitting RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am having the following problem. I have created my app which includes ads that I have setup in pubCenter (which I created through my Dev Center account). I now want to submit the app, have uploaded the XAP and entered all other information.

The problem occurs when I then click "Add in-app advertising". I get the following error message:

Can't create ad unit

Something happened, and we weren't successful creating your ad unit. Go back to the previous page, enter the ad unit information, and then try again. (Don't worry, everything else about your app should have been saved.)

That is all I get, no additional information.  What is this step needed for anyway, since I have already set my ad units up in pubCenter?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, September 3, 2012 1:20 PM

Answers

• If you have already set your ad units up in pubCenter, there is nothing more you need to do in DevCenter. You will not be able to link your app/ad units to your application from within DevCenter. But the ad control and ads should still work.

The step is there for developers who have not yet set up ads for their application. With this interface, an application can be registered with pubCenter and ad units assigned to it without having to leave the DevCenter App Submission flow.

• Proposed as answer by dwelzel Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Danny G. - MS Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:19 PM

All replies

• Hi mate,

I just had the same thing happen to me. It just started working for me... no clue why :) Maybe try again?

Cheers

Chris

Chrischo

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:39 PM
  • If you have already set your ad units up in pubCenter, there is nothing more you need to do in DevCenter. You will not be able to link your app/ad units to your application from within DevCenter. But the ad control and ads should still work.

The step is there for developers who have not yet set up ads for their application. With this interface, an application can be registered with pubCenter and ad units assigned to it without having to leave the DevCenter App Submission flow.

• Proposed as answer by dwelzel Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by Danny G. - MS Wednesday, September 19, 2012 6:21 AM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 10:19 PM
  • But why it doesn't work?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:02 PM
  • This seems totally out of whack in the context of the submission process. It's VERY confusing for MS to have built the sight this way.

Considering the steps of the submission process I've already built the app with the appropriate ID's already set on the adControls yet you offer to let me do it again? This would require updating the xaml and rebuilding then updating the xap that I just submitted. Also, wouldn't I have already tested those ID's provided by pubCenter out?

It's just confusing is all, what these guys experienced above just happened to me. You leave the submission process feeling like you've done something wrong. Every time I submit an app, new or update, I get that feeling. :-)

Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:37 PM
  • This error is still exist on the DevCenter! Still after nearly one year!!

Today I also receive:

"Something happened, and we weren't successful creating your ad unit. "

and now I can't edit/rename my adUnit nor in pubcenter(it says I need to edit on devCenter) nor in devCenter(gives this error & previously no option for do it)

Sunday, June 30, 2013 11:35 AM
  • I emailed support and they just give me generic answers such as "click add in-app advertising"... we're developers, do they seriously think we're mentally challenged with computers. It's 1 of only 5 things on the page, how could anyone not see it? Also, why has this not been fixed yet?
    Monday, July 1, 2013 11:53 PM
  • maybe it's obvious for everyone, but:

what's the point of this "feature"? Yes, it allows me to create a pubcenter app/adunit. but, what I get with this? 

· first: I must recompile my app with the new adunit (yes you can have it online, but this is not the cases in simple apps)

· second: Why I want my app and my adunit linked? what I get with it? Will they "mix" payments? What's the point?

Sorry, but I really don't understand this... 8·(

Thank you for your help

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:54 PM