Submission problem: app cannot be tested RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to submit my first app but it didn't pass the certification process because "The application cannot be tested for compliance for Windows Phone Application Certification Requirements because it fails to launch on all Windows Phone devices. The application silently terminates at launch." What does it mean? I tested it on my Lumia 920 and on the emulator and everything worked great. What kind of correction I have to do? I can't understand where I'm wrong.. May I attach the Visual Studio project here?

Thursday, January 24, 2013 11:51 AM

All replies

• I was searching so I could post this same problem!  I think I can tell you what it means, but I have no idea how to fix it.

From some corresponding with testers, it seems that the problem is using unsupported (restricted) API calls (especially common if you are using background agents).  If you use restricted calls, they will be just fine on the emulator or on a physical device.  It won't fail until it gets onto a production device (such as in testing).

The worst part, is there is no way to test for it.  As far as I can tell, there are no tests to let you know if you are referencing these calls.  I think I remember that WP7 apps have an automated test for it, but WP8 does not.  What makes it tough is that you don't have to use the restricted call.  If your agent project references a library project that has a class that references a restricted call (sorry, that's confusing!), you are out of compliance *even if you never call it*.  You can find specific classes/methods here.

I wish I had a great answer.  I've been trying to get my app passed FOR TWO MONTHS and it keeps getting kicked for "silently terminates."  I just keep beating my head against the wall.  I hope you find the problem quickly.  Be sure to update this thread with anything you learn!

-- Arian T. Kulp | Visual C# MVP | http://www.ariankulp.com Please remember to mark as helpful, or mark as answer if this helps you!

Monday, February 25, 2013 6:24 AM