Issue handling custom 404 Error RRS feed

• Question

• User1769015664 posted

My MainPage.pasx has 2 button (Button1, Button2). First button to open up a pdf document and the second button to load a modal popup.

When Button1 is clicked, I get a 404 Error (404.aspx) in a new tab when a pdf document is loaded in a new tab (Response.Write("window.open('../Docs/MyDoc.pdf', '_newtab');"); and this 404.aspx gets closed when a button is click which takes me back to previous tab which is MainPage.aspx (OnClientClick="window.close(); return false;). So far, so good.

<asp:Button ID="btnClose" class="aspButton" runat="server" Text="Close this page"  
                                    OnClientClick="window.close(); return false; history.go(-1);"></asp:Button>

Now, I click on Button2 to load modal popup. It brings up 404 Error page 404.aspx replacing MainPage.aspx.  From here, How do I get back to previous page which is MainPage.aspx?

Saturday, October 31, 2020 3:13 AM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

We don't know if there is a bug in your understanding or code.  Share the code that reproduces this issue.  

Keep in mind, opening a new tab breaks the browser history.  Opening a model is not tracked in browser history.  

Saturday, October 31, 2020 10:47 AM
  • User1769015664 posted

What's the best way to get back to the page where I clicked on button that failed to open up the modal popup?

The button for the Modal Popup is in Master Page.

Sunday, November 1, 2020 4:49 AM
  • User1535942433 posted

Hi NJ2,

Accroding to your description,you could use history.back() or history.go() to go back the master page.

More details,you could refer to below article:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History/back

Best regards,

Yijing Sun

Monday, November 2, 2020 7:05 AM
  • User1769015664 posted

It doesn't work...

Like mgebhard said earlier, opening a new tab loses the history and that's the issue I am having.

Monday, November 2, 2020 9:22 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Like mgebhard said earlier, opening a new tab loses the history and that's the issue I am having.

No. History is NOT lost.  Opening a new tab breaks application history.  The new tab gets its own history timeline while the original tab has its own history timeline.

Do not open a new tab.  See the following for managing history when the HTML is modified by JavaScript.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API/Working_with_the_History_API

Monday, November 2, 2020 11:04 PM