SQL 2012 Proxy account fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a sql agent job running a ssis packages, where I have a Proxyaccount (with a credential) as "run as".

Suddently the job fails with the following error:

Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy TOPLEVEL\administrator, system error: The user name or password is incorrect.).  The step failed.

I'm sure that the account on the credential is correct. (I have tryed to delete it , and create it from the beginning)

I have also tryed to put in  my administrator account as sql server agent account, and also as the credential account.

But it still comes whit the above message.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Paw_H_M,

From the error messages, it seems the user name or password is incorrect. If you change job ownership to a user who is not a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, and the job is executing job steps that require proxy accounts (for example, SSIS package execution), make sure that the user has access to that proxy account or else the job will fail.

Follow the steps to recreate SQL Server Proxy Account to run the jobs.

Please refer to Running SQL Server Jobs using a Proxy Account: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2010/sql-server-job-proxy-account/.   

Thanks.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:03 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Please make sure that the account is not locked or the password expired. Try to login to the server using that domain account and see if it is successful
    Monday, March 25, 2013 12:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Paw_H_M,

From the error messages, it seems the user name or password is incorrect. If you change job ownership to a user who is not a member of the sysadmin fixed server role, and the job is executing job steps that require proxy accounts (for example, SSIS package execution), make sure that the user has access to that proxy account or else the job will fail.

Follow the steps to recreate SQL Server Proxy Account to run the jobs.

Please refer to Running SQL Server Jobs using a Proxy Account: http://www.sql-server-performance.com/2010/sql-server-job-proxy-account/.   

Thanks.

Maggie Luo
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 25, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Please make sure that the account is not locked or the password expired. Try to login to the server using that domain account and see if it is successful
    Monday, March 25, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Hi Maggie

It still comes up with "bad username or password"

I have tried to follow your description, where I have created new credentials and new proxy account. The owner of the job is Administrator who is member of the sysadmin server role. The login who is mapped to the credentials is member of the 3 agent user role (msdb). I have tried to connect to the sql server using the userlogin

who I have used to the credentials - and I can connect to the sql server.

I have also tried to make the administrator the credentials login - but I alway get the "Bad userid or Password" error messages when i tried to execute the Sql Agent job (running a ssis packages)

see log info:

Date  03-04-2013 10:46:43
    Log  Job History (test)

Step ID  1
    Server  ESBBIP02
    Job Name  test
    Step Name  sss
    Duration  00:00:00
    Sql Severity 0
    Sql Message ID 0
    Operator Emailed 
    Operator Net sent 
    Operator Paged 
    Retries Attempted 0

Unable to start execution of step 1 (reason: Error authenticating proxy TOPLEVEL\SBU, system error: The user name or password is incorrect.).  The step failed.

My version info:

Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio                                                                                                                   11.0.3128.0

Microsoft Analysis Services Client Tools                                                                                                                      11.0.3128.0

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC)                                                                                                                6.2.9200.16384

Microsoft MSXML                                                                                                                                3.0 5.0 6.0

Microsoft Internet Explorer                                                                                                                  9.10.9200.16519

Microsoft .NET Framework                                                                                                                  4.0.30319.18033

Operating System                                                                                                                               6.2.9200

Regards

Paw

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:49 AM