Building folder hidden app

Question

• I like to create a folder hidden app for win 8.1... But i can't figure it out how can i make the  folder on the device to be hidden ... please help...thanks in advance...
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:08 AM

Answers

• Hi mjKrishna,

I don't think it is possible to create a hidden folder for win8.1

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:11 AM
  • Even if you could, you get Access Denied when trying to open a hidden folder.

The real question is: why do you need a hidden folder in the first place? If you're creating a folder in one of the user's libraries, then it doesn't make sense to hide it from them because they should be in control of their data. If you're creating a folder in your app data, then it's generally hidden from the user already.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:21 PM
  • You can make a folder hidden by setting its basic system properties. But later you would not be able to open the folder again. You will get an "Access Denied" as you are not allowed to open hidden folders/files. Don't know what happens if you add the folder to your access list though. That might work.

But why do you want to hide a folder in your own apps local directory? Nobody is supposed to mess with that anyway.

Friday, March 7, 2014 9:50 AM

All replies

• i m to trying to create a folder hidden app... have you found the way to run cmd.exe... if so please help me tooo..
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:03 AM
  • Hi mjKrishna,

I don't think it is possible to create a hidden folder for win8.1

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 5:11 AM
  • Even if you could, you get Access Denied when trying to open a hidden folder.

The real question is: why do you need a hidden folder in the first place? If you're creating a folder in one of the user's libraries, then it doesn't make sense to hide it from them because they should be in control of their data. If you're creating a folder in your app data, then it's generally hidden from the user already.

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:21 PM
  • You can make a folder hidden by setting its basic system properties. But later you would not be able to open the folder again. You will get an "Access Denied" as you are not allowed to open hidden folders/files. Don't know what happens if you add the folder to your access list though. That might work.

But why do you want to hide a folder in your own apps local directory? Nobody is supposed to mess with that anyway.

Friday, March 7, 2014 9:50 AM