Power View, the first version...or last version? RRS feed

• Question

• I think Power View is a revolutionary product in BI market. I know SSRS team may be not have enough time to complete all funtional in this first edition, however what we need is the product future commitment. Power View is based on Silverlight 5, base on history, Silverlight was released new version every 1.5 year, and SQL Server was every 3~5 year.

One month ago, Silverlight 5 is official released, even there are lot of rumor said the silverlight is dead, but Microsoft don't give us any commitment about it(I don't think Silverlight 5 technical support to 2021 is commitment, we need know will Microsoft still invest in this technology).Why I worried about it,In past 5 year,Microsoft stop invest lot of BI product ex. Proclarity,PerformancePoint, Data Mining, Data Mining add-ins for Excel. What'll be the next? SSRS native mode? SSAS Multidimentional mode?

We are Microsoft BI Partner, we help Microsoft persuad customer to buy Microsoft BI solution, but we lost ur credit once and once. I think power view is great idea, but please tell me how to face our customer , when he said "Silverlight is dead, why I should buy for PowerView" ,"Reporting Services is dead, without SharePoint, There is not new function in SSRS SQL Server 2012...". What we need is just predictable and reliable BI roadmap(NOT SHAREPOINT ROADMAP..), so any one can tell me will Power View still has future?

AsiaMiner, CTO
    • Edited by AllanYiin Monday, January 16, 2012 7:39 AM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:36 AM

Answers

• At this point, we can't share many details about upcoming releases, but suffice it to say - to answer your question - that Power View definitely has a future, one that we're investing in heavily. As we wound down work on SQL Server 2012, we already started developing Power View further, and we're continuing to do so as I write this. You'll also notice that we've been shipping SQL Server more frequently - in 2008, 2010, and now in 2012.

To answer the question "Silverlight is dead, why I should buy for PowerView," our focus is on shipping Power View as an experience and we'll choose the technologies that best enable that experience. It's inevitable that technologies evolve and it's our job to coordinate with those changes. Power View is no different in this regard. Just as an example, Office moved to a completely different file format a few years ago. As customers increasingly move to newer Office versions and adopt these new formats, we rewrote our Word and Excel rendering extensions for SQL Server 2012 to generate these new formats, but with minimal impact to the end-user experience. Meanwhile, XAML has been evolving as a technology, first through WPF for thick-client applications, then through Silverlight as a browser plugin (not to mention Windows Phone applications), and most recently for Windows 8 Metro-style applications. We'll need to decide how to best evolve our products and components - including but not limited to Power View - given these changes, as we do with any changes in the technology landscape.

Perhaps if you look only at certain scenarios, you may not find major changes in Reporting Services in SQL Server 2012, but each release has its theme or focus, and if you look across the product, you'll find major investments in Reporting Services as a platform in the SQL Server 2012 wave. Power View, of course, is part of Reporting Services and is built on the Reporting Services platform. Reporting Services now supports two different types of reports for different scenarios: traditional "operational" reports suited to printing and exporting, and Power View reports optimized for on-screen, interactive data exploration and visualization. Also consider investments not only in authoring and consumption, but also in deployment and manageability. On-premise, Reporting Services is now a SharePoint service application that administrators can easily manage in Central Administration, the same place as all their other SharePoint services. Then we have CTPs of SQL Azure Reporting Services, one of several investments in bringing our BI capabilities into the cloud.

Program Manager, SQL Server Reporting Services
    Friday, January 27, 2012 7:22 PM