running a .NET app on a linux OS and apache server RRS feed

• Question

• User1396030708 posted

hello everybody,

I'm a beginner with .NET stuff and I would like to run some tests on VERY simple apps that I have written.  but I have been told by goDaddy personnel that if I want to test .NET apps on linux OS running on an apache server then it should not contain any ASP or ASP.NET code because that is the only .NET language that is forbidden to run in that environment.  Is that correct?  I've created numerous projects/solutions with VS 2019 and some of them indicate that ASP.NET is part of them when I hit the "create" button for a template on the home screen and some do not.  Is it true that all .NET apps need to incorporate ASP or ASP.NET to some degree in order to work?  I kind of believe this is true because every website I've ever gone to that is obviously running a .NET web app shows .ASPX file extensions on every page I visit.  Is my thinking correct here?   thanks!

Adam

Sunday, December 22, 2019 5:11 PM

Answers

• User-474980206 posted

classic .net (up to version 4.8), only runs on windows. and asp.net required IIS to host.

There is a mono project to port .net to linux, and it has an linux hosting via apache. to run mono with apache requires installing the mono hosting module in apache (few isp's do this, you would need to use a vm).

Microsoft also has a cross platform version of .net and asp.net called core. to host on linux with apache requires apache be a reverse proxy to the installed asp.net core application which is normally run a daemon. again few isp's support this hosting model, unless you use a virtul machine

aspnet core can also be hosted as docker image. this is probably the most common approach for isps.

now apache can run many languages as a cgi or installed module. typically these are perl, php, python, ruby, and java (if java server pages is installed). javascript is usually supported as a node instance rather than apache. I believe the standard go daddy website supports perl, php and python. (Wordpress and Drupal are written php) 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 22, 2019 6:42 PM
  • User711641945 posted

Hi ajetrumpet,

what else can you tell me about this docker image concept?

Hosted as docker images allows you running on linux. You could follow the official document and github samples to learn how to host as docker image:

Reference:

#Official Document

https://hub.docker.com/_/microsoft-dotnet-framework-samples

#Github Samples

https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet-framework-docker

Best Regards,

Rena

Monday, December 23, 2019 8:13 AM

All replies

• User-474980206 posted

classic .net (up to version 4.8), only runs on windows. and asp.net required IIS to host.

There is a mono project to port .net to linux, and it has an linux hosting via apache. to run mono with apache requires installing the mono hosting module in apache (few isp's do this, you would need to use a vm).

Microsoft also has a cross platform version of .net and asp.net called core. to host on linux with apache requires apache be a reverse proxy to the installed asp.net core application which is normally run a daemon. again few isp's support this hosting model, unless you use a virtul machine

aspnet core can also be hosted as docker image. this is probably the most common approach for isps.

now apache can run many languages as a cgi or installed module. typically these are perl, php, python, ruby, and java (if java server pages is installed). javascript is usually supported as a node instance rather than apache. I believe the standard go daddy website supports perl, php and python. (Wordpress and Drupal are written php) 

Sunday, December 22, 2019 6:42 PM
  • User1396030708 posted

thanks so much bruce!

hosted as docker image. this is probably the most common approach for isps.

the purpose of this thread was not only to ensure that .NET could run on IIS but to find a happy medium between 3 domains I have attached to the same hosting plan at GD => 1 domain is running a wordpress installation and 2 are running static files without databases on the backend.

regarding ASP.NET core, when I look at the VS 2019 homepage, a lot of the template options in there indicate that it is ".net core" compatible.  can you shed any light on that for me, in terms of what that means and how it's related to what we're talking about and if it's even relevant?

thanks again Bruce!

Sunday, December 22, 2019 7:44 PM
  • User711641945 posted

Hi ajetrumpet,

Hosted as docker images allows you running on linux. You could follow the official document and github samples to learn how to host as docker image:

Reference:

#Official Document

https://hub.docker.com/_/microsoft-dotnet-framework-samples

#Github Samples

https://github.com/Microsoft/dotnet-framework-docker

Best Regards,

Rena

Monday, December 23, 2019 8:13 AM
  • User-474980206 posted

not a godaddy user, but I believe you need a windows host plan to host asp.net or asp.net core application.  

Monday, December 23, 2019 4:07 PM
  • User1396030708 posted

bruce,

that's exactly what they tell me.  but i cannot get thru to level 2 or level 3 people cuz they cut themselves off from the rest of the world.  so I have to go by what level 1 guys say, and a lot of them don't know anything useful.  I migrated all my stuff to windows on IIS and I will be testing my asp.net core apps created thru visual studio in that environment.  I'm sure they'll work.  thing is, I have 3 domains on the host plan, 1 wordpress written in PHP, 1 that I'm working on the vs asp.net core app on, and one with 6 simple static HTML pages on it.  so everything should work fine.  PHP runs on both environments, but the level 1 jokers insist that it should be on linux to optimize it.  I'm not worried though.  thanks man!

Monday, December 23, 2019 4:48 PM