none
Automatic App Update in Kiosk mode

Question

• Hi,

I work as an engineer, and my Boss ask me about the system of application updates after dwonloading from the store during kiosk mode.

I searched on the Internet but there was not any info about that, so I would like to ask here.

When you are running kiosk mode in large company, is it possible to set up automatic App updates?

Or should update App one by one on hand in kiosk mode?

(I hope I can do automatic updates because huge companies have too many PCs.)

By the way, you cannot konw which device has crash/problems, if could update automatically in kiosk mode, right?

Hope to get answer from you,

Thank you.

-Chetier

Tuesday, August 8, 2017 7:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Chetier,

Thank you for posting here.

If you want to update application automatically, did you want to use Click Once?

ClickOnce is a deployment technology that enables you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction. ClickOnce deployment overcomes three major issues in deployment:

1. Difficulties in updating applications
    2. Impact to the user's computer
    3. Security permissions.

ClickOnce applications can be self-updating; they can check for newer versions as they become available and automatically replace any updated files. The developer can specify the update behavior; a network administrator can also control update strategies, for example, marking an update as mandatory. Updates can also be rolled back to an earlier version by the end user or by an administrator. For more information, see Choosing a ClickOnce Update Strategy.

I hope that the reply would be helpful for you.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chetier Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:33 AM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Chetier,

Thank you for posting here.

If you want to update application automatically, did you want to use Click Once?

ClickOnce is a deployment technology that enables you to create self-updating Windows-based applications that can be installed and run with minimal user interaction. ClickOnce deployment overcomes three major issues in deployment:

1. Difficulties in updating applications
    2. Impact to the user's computer
    3. Security permissions.

ClickOnce applications can be self-updating; they can check for newer versions as they become available and automatically replace any updated files. The developer can specify the update behavior; a network administrator can also control update strategies, for example, marking an update as mandatory. Updates can also be rolled back to an earlier version by the end user or by an administrator. For more information, see Choosing a ClickOnce Update Strategy.

I hope that the reply would be helpful for you.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Chetier Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:33 AM
    Wednesday, August 9, 2017 9:28 AM
  • Hi Hart,

Thank you very much for your reply.

It helpes me a lot, Im gonna check ClickOnce later.

Thank you,

Chetier

Thursday, August 10, 2017 4:35 AM