PRE-SALES: If I purchase Studio 2 now, Will I get an upgrade next month? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there to any Microsoft sales agents.

Wondering if I purchase Expression Studio 2 today, what will be the upgrade path when ver 3 is released?

As a software developer I spend a *lot* of money on licenses; and have been caught short a few times with this issue; recently with another very large vendor whom produces products to develop in the RIA space.

Many thanks
    Steve

Friday, June 26, 2009 2:46 AM

All replies

• Howdy,

I am trying to find that information out for you, but in the meantime, is there any reason why you wouldnt want to use the Blend3 trials that would see you through to release?

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Monday, June 29, 2009 10:17 AM
  • I just wanted to add my voice to the original poster.  We already have several copies of blend.  We would like to think that a service pack will be available to upgrade our versions (since they were purchased only a few months ago) to 3 rather than purchasing a new version.    Any possibility?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Howdy,

The following is pretty much the "conversation" back from MSFT regarding this topic.

If a user wants to buy today and be automatically upgraded to the latest version of Expression Studio when it ships then they need to purchase Expression Professional Subscription (EPS) – this is the recognized and supported way for someone to receive an automatic upgrade once a new version ships.

For individual product purchases historically Microsoft hasn’t offered grace periods. Once a product is purchased there is no automatic upgrade unless a customer has purchased Software Assurance – which essentially is one of the benefits EPS provides. So if someone purchases Expression Studio 2 today (or or an individual Expression product) to receive Expression Studio 3 they will need to purchase an upgrade.

You may remember last year we did run a grace period offer where people could purchase an Expression v1 product then upgrade for free to v2… this offer was run as a one off deal to our customers as EPS wasn’t an available purchase option at that time.

I advise you to make some calls or send some emails to the people you deal with when purchasing MSFT products like this so you can be assured that you have the protection required. The information provided in this post is a "quote" so take it as that please. It may not be used as a legal statement from Microsoft.

HTH

Cheers

Expression MVP

my blog : http://x-coders.com/blogs/sneaky/default.aspx

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 3:49 PM