Does an NSG rule require both Public and Private IP's ? RRS feed

• Question

• Feel silly asking this but i cant seem to find a definitive answer anywhere.  If i have a Linux VM running STFP that i want to make publicly available behind an NSG do i need to add both its public and private IP's to the allow list ?  

As it stands if i only add the public IP inbound connections time out.  If i add the private as well it works but this seems sorta wrong to me ?

Monday, June 4, 2018 6:50 AM

All replies

• No, for NSG rule require only private IP addresses. Basically, Azure NATs from public to private and then processes the NSGs.
    You can still add the IP of Internet resources if they're the source destination, but for the Azure VM, you need to add the private IP's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” or Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here.

• Proposed as answer by vijisankar Monday, June 4, 2018 7:29 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2018 7:29 PM
  • Just checking in if you have had a chance to see our previous response. If this answers your query, do click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote for the same. And, if you have any further query do let us know.
    Saturday, June 16, 2018 12:45 PM