none
Debug DLLs not installed RRS feed

• Question

• I just installed beta 2 and it appears that the MSVC debug DLLs are not installed.  I successfully compiled a program in debug mode and when I go to execute it I get a popup saying that MSVCP80D.DLL cannot be found.  Doing a search I can find MSVCP80.DLL, but not it's not debug counterpart.

Anyone know how I can get this file installed?

(Btw, I went thru a repair cycle and that didn't get it installed either)
    Monday, April 18, 2005 9:50 PM

Answers

• David,

You should find MSVCP80(d).dll in the windows directory under winsxs. If you are installing a C++ SKU (Visual C++ Express, Standard or any Visual Studio SKU) then these DLLs should be installed.

Note that if you get an error message mentioning a DLL name (as this one does), this means that your project is not built correctly - it does not have a manifest, meaning it won't be able to find the DLLs in WinSxS.

How did you build your project? Normally, when you upgrade from VC7, 7.1 or 6 or earlier, we automatically add the relevant project system information to create a manifest for your project.

Martyn Lovell
    Development Lead
    Visual C++ Libraries
    Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:30 PM

All replies

• David,

You should find MSVCP80(d).dll in the windows directory under winsxs. If you are installing a C++ SKU (Visual C++ Express, Standard or any Visual Studio SKU) then these DLLs should be installed.

Note that if you get an error message mentioning a DLL name (as this one does), this means that your project is not built correctly - it does not have a manifest, meaning it won't be able to find the DLLs in WinSxS.

How did you build your project? Normally, when you upgrade from VC7, 7.1 or 6 or earlier, we automatically add the relevant project system information to create a manifest for your project.

Martyn Lovell
    Development Lead
    Visual C++ Libraries
    Wednesday, April 20, 2005 10:30 PM
  • Martyn,

I'm building everything from the command-line, so
    that's no answer for me.  I think something is very wrong, here.
    Saturday, May 14, 2005 1:35 AM
  • I meet the same question,but sometime debugging can succeed without MSVCP80D.DLL, Maybe this is a bug?
    Thursday, July 7, 2005 4:33 PM
  • I installed the VS 2005 Beta2, let it convert all my project and solution files, and I've hit this dialog (Can't find MSVCP80D.dll). On my machine, there is a directory

C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50215.4652_x-ww_a12cf373

Along with a few hundred others for different libraries and different platforms. What do I update (PATH, .NET project directory option) to have it find the right version of the DLL?
    Friday, July 22, 2005 7:51 PM