Replace/Add Permissions options in Designer Workflows has stopped working. Get "Failed on Start" error. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, 
    I'm not sure why I'm getting this error and cannot figure it out. The workflow is using an Impersonation Step and is "impersonating" a Site Collection Administrator. This WAS working last week, but is not longer working. I don't know if I might have inadvertently changed a setting somewhere along the way, but I can't seem to find anything that might suggest that - I've looked everywhere!

I've tried to recreate the workflow that stopped...didn't work. I've tried to create new lists and libraries and then create a workflow for those...didn't work. I've tried both Replace List Item Permissions and Add List Item Permissions. I've tried with the library inheriting permissions and without...not matter what I do it won't work anymore. All the settings at the List/Library Level, Site Level and even the Central Admin Level look fine to me.

My contract for this client ends on FRIDAY!!  I'm almost about to be tempted to create a new Web Application and start over if I can't figure this out!
    • Edited by Wayne Fan Friday, February 18, 2011 6:58 AM Do not use ASAP in your thread, thanks.
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:08 PM

Answers

• Jonathan,

Thanks for your post.

It seems like that the problem is caused by the “site Collection Administrator” from what you said.

Now, please the following things at first:

1.       Have you changed the “Site Collection Administrator” for the Site Collection?

2.       Was the password expired for the site collection Administrator?

Also, please check the ULS log file for a deeper troubleshooting. You can use the ULS log viewer to do this.

http://ulsviewer.codeplex.com/

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:45 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 7:05 AM

All replies

• As a side note:  Something else is going a little strange.  Since there was an impersonation step I signed into Designer with the Generic Admin account and created the workflow (so it would run under that account).  After publishing the workflow, I closed Designer and reopened it under my account (also a Site Collection Admin with Full Control).  The Workflow does not populate in Designer under Workflows when I'm signed in with my account.  Very odd as it used to do this...What am I missing? 
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:28 PM
  • Jonathan,

Thanks for your post.

It seems like that the problem is caused by the “site Collection Administrator” from what you said.

Now, please the following things at first:

1.       Have you changed the “Site Collection Administrator” for the Site Collection?

2.       Was the password expired for the site collection Administrator?

Also, please check the ULS log file for a deeper troubleshooting. You can use the ULS log viewer to do this.

http://ulsviewer.codeplex.com/

• Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:45 AM
    Friday, February 18, 2011 7:05 AM