Connecting Apps For Office to Azure SQL (other than WCF service) RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to connect Office apps to SQL Azure other than use of RESTful WCF services? Using WCF service would always have the overhead of building security around it since it will have to be deployed to Azure. If Apps would always need WCF service, I was wondering if there is already a secured built-in way. Just checking my options before I start building and securing the service for the app.
    Friday, May 3, 2013 9:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Mayur,

You should be able to use AJAX to communicate with any server-side technology of your choice.  As a very simple example, you could even just have an ASPX page that you either pass some parameters to (or not), have it connect to SQL Azure on page load, and write out a response.  Using WCF or WebAPI would be the more sophisticated way of accomplishing this task, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Does that help?  I'm not entirely sure what you meant regarding securing the service.

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

• Proposed as answer by Quist Zhang Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mayur Parmar Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Mayur,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I'm trying to involve some senior engineers into this issue and it will take some time. Your patience will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for any inconvenience and have a nice day!

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 12:33 PM
  • Hi Mayur,

You should be able to use AJAX to communicate with any server-side technology of your choice.  As a very simple example, you could even just have an ASPX page that you either pass some parameters to (or not), have it connect to SQL Azure on page load, and write out a response.  Using WCF or WebAPI would be the more sophisticated way of accomplishing this task, but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Does that help?  I'm not entirely sure what you meant regarding securing the service.

- Michael

Michael Zlatkovsky | Program Manager, Visual Studio Tools for Office & Apps for Office

• Proposed as answer by Quist Zhang Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Mayur Parmar Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:05 PM
  • Thanks Michael for the suggestions. I would be creating a Azure WCF service to get me the data from Azure SQL. I would want to secure my service using ACS/ADFS, so that only my application would be able to call methods exposed by that service. That is what I was trying to say about securing the WCF service.
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 4:47 PM
  • Hi Mayur,

On a related topic, there is another question I just answered about how to talk to Web API from a standard HTML/JS/CSS app.  See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appsforoffice/thread/346e7cff-a719-4900-8bf2-700426b33421/ if you're interested.

Hope this helps,

- Michael

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 10:03 PM