none
Powershell script- add a "person or group" column with multiple user choice RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm writing a script with Powershell and I'm trying to create a "person or group" column on a custom list, 

but I need the user to select more than one person. (the option of "multiple users" needs to be checked).

right now the code is : 

$list.Fields.Add("Project team", "User", $User)

maybe someone if familiar with the missing attribute?

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your post, you wanted to create a “person or group” using PowerShell which can select more than one person.

You can check with the following,

$fldXml = "<Field Type='User' DisplayName='PersonCol1' List='UserInfo' ShowField='ImnName'

UserSelectionMode='PeopleOnly' UserSelectionScope='0' Name='PersonCol1'/>"

$myCustomList.Fields.AddFieldAsXml($fldXml,$true,Microsoft.SharePoint.SPAddFieldOptions]::AddFieldToDefaultView)

The above code will create people and group column ‘PersonCol1′ which allows only user(people) values but not user group names. Setting UserSelectionMode=’PeopleAndGroups’ will allow user group values. There are other possible values which can be set for ShowField attribute - Title, NameWithPicture, NameWithPictureAndDetails, ImnName (this is NameWithPresence)

For more details, you can refer to the following article: http://adicodes.com/adding-fields-to-list-with-powershell-in-sharepoint-2010-part2/

Thanks,

Jason  Guo 

• Edited by JasonGuo Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:39 AM format
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 5:37 AM
  • Hi, 

I saw that article before,

but what I need is not the option to select also groups - but to select more than one user.

please see the screen shot, I need this radio button to be selected: "allow multiple selections"

thank

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

I’m really sorry to misunderstand you question.

If you need the button “Allow multiple selections” to be selected, you can use the methods “AllowMultipleValues”.

$column.AllowMultipleValues  = $true

You can refer the following similar article to see more details: http://sharepointwings.blogspot.in/2012/05/update-lookup-field-settings-using.html

Thanks,

Jason Guo

Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:25 AM
  • Sounds good I will give it a try :) thanks!! 
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:31 PM