LightSwitch 2 tier app deployment put database in single user mode and started backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have built a LS app using VS2012 VB.  Building and testing was done on development environment. App works as intended.

MY sql server instance on Dev environment is DEV2008R2 and the db name is Gemini.

MY sql server instance on production is PROD2008R2 and the db name is Gemini

Gemini on both Dev and Prod have same schema.  Both Dev and Prod are external servers.

I'm only working with few tables in the Gemini to do some data entry.

I tried publishing my application using publish wizard as I go through the steps...

Application Type: Desktop

Application Server Configuration: Local

Publish Output: publish directly to the database

Under database connections:

Specify the User connection: I'm changing to the Gemini on the production server

Publish database schema: I wasn't sure  whether I should check this.  My application is built around only a couple of tables from Gemini which has huge schema.  What I'm not sure about is  or my concern is that selecting this option would drop the existing db schema and replace it with a few tables I'm using.

I'm using integrated security.  

Under Other connections option - I'm pointing to production db as well.

I have three questions.

1.When I publish it first time, it put Gemini on production server  into single user mode and started a backup process.  Can      someone explain under what circumstance deployment of Lightswitch app puts database in single user mode and backs it up?

2. What kind of affect would choosing 'publish database schema option' on the production database.

3. I installed my app using setup.exe  from publish folder but when I start the app I get an error saying 'error communicatiing with database'

In my situation what options should I choose to successfully publish, install and use my app.  I do not want to make any changes to Gemini's schema.  All I want to accomplish through this app is to do some data entry.

Thanks in advance

BRKUMAR

Thursday, October 23, 2014 4:49 AM

Answers

• You need to specify a different (and new) database on the "Data connections" page within the "Database Connections" tab.  This is the database that the user/role information is stored in for the application and must NOT be your attached data source's database.

David Kidder | Senior SDET | Microsoft | LightSwitch

• Proposed as answer by Dave KidderModerator Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:44 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 6:31 PM