IOCTL driver error code 577 RRS feed

• Question

• environment

Windows 10 Enterprise, 64bit,Visual Studio Community 2019--16.8.2 , SDK --10.0.19041.0,Windows Driver Kit

I have configed  the driver digital signature is disabled.

Operations:

download the official sample ioctl code from: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/zh-cn/samples/microsoft/windows-driver-samples/ioctl/ 

config the ioctlapp project 

[attribution]->[Linker]->[list file]->[UAC Execution level]:requireAdminstrator

build the .sys and ioctlapp code. copy the sioctl.sys to exe file ,then run the  ioctlapp in debug mode ,

in the function:   BOOLEAN StartDriver(_In_ SC_HANDLE    SchSCManager,_In_ LPCTSTR      DriverName);

StartService failure! Error = 577

then the code return.

So anyone who can help me about this ?how to run the sample code ? why  StartService failure? Or how to StartService  success?

Thanks a lot!

• Edited by fubenai Friday, November 27, 2020 5:36 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2020 4:14 AM

All replies

• Error 577 is a signature failure.  How did you "disable digital signatures"?  Have you put your machine into "test mode" using bcdedit?  That's the only way to turn off signature enforcement.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Sunday, November 29, 2020 7:34 AM
  • I just put my machine into normal mode, not "test mode",

I disable digital signature in this way:

Hold down the Shift key while choosing the “Restart” option in Windows. Your computer will restart with Advanced Options. From the list of options displayed, select the “Troubleshoot” tile.

Next, select “Advanced options” and hit the “Startup Settings” tile.

Next, select the “Restart” button to restart your PC on the Startup Settings screen.

You will see the following screen on restart. Press the 7 keyboard key to activate the “Disable driver signature enforcement” option.

Friday, December 4, 2020 2:54 AM
  • Do you understand that this option only applies the current boot?  The option ends when you reboot.  You'd need to do this every single time you restart.  That's why many people use "test mode".

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Monday, December 7, 2020 3:58 AM