none
Small Basic v0.4 is out

General discussion

• The 4th CTP is now available for download at http://smallbasic.com

Bug Fixes
    1. Calling GraphicsWindow.Hide() will keep the window hidden until Show() is called.
    2. Fixed GetColorFromRGB to properly return White if supplied with 255,255,255.
    3. Sound.Play will rewind automatically at the end of playback
    4. Text indexes are all now 1-based
    5. Fixed crashes in Flickr object and Text object.
    6. Clock.WeekDay is now localized

New Additions
    1. A Timer object with a Tick event - very useful for building games
    2. Clock object now has Milliseconds
    3. Text object now has GetIndexOf method
    4. Selection highlight marking - you can now easily find your variables.

More importantly, this release UI and library help is localized to French! 

Download it from http://smallbasic.com
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:01 PM

All replies

• The home page on http://smallbasic.com has not been updated yet to reflect the version, but the download should still work.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 8:41 PM
  • same problem as before, you still download the v0.3.1 setup instead of v0.4 (or whatever it is)
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:06 PM
  • It works!  Be sure to remove the 0.3 version first. Opps.  Thought I was in trouble there for a minute.  If you do not remove the 0.3 first an ugly error message appears.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:15 PM
  • are you sure?
    i still download v0.3...:S
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Vick, please refresh your browser page, and if necessary, clean out the temp files.  I believe you're getting a cached copy from somewhere.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:38 PM
  • Thanks Vijaye.  I just came across Small Basic 2 days ago and love what you're doing here.  I am very interested to see where this goes. 

My first though when I tried to program up a little game was that it needed a timer so you must have been reading my mind.  One thing I would like to see added to the time object is the ability to query the elapsed ticks.  This way you could query it on each iteration of a game loop to determine the frame-time to ensure that a program runs at the same speed on any machine.  With the current application you would need to setup a timer event to trigger each frame and there's no guarantee that the machine will hit your given frames per second.

Not a criticism, just a minor feature request...what you've done here is a big step in the right direction and opens up a whole bunch of new options for beginners to experiment with.

Cheers
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:37 AM
  • Updated. The program starts falling apart.
    As usual. :)
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:58 AM
  • I'm having the same problem as vick1211. When I download the install MSI, it tells me I am installing v.0.3.1, and that is the version number in the header of the SB.exe, and in the bottom-right of the IDE. This happens even if I go to the Microsoft Download Center page for SmallBasic 0.4

The MSI I am receiving is 5,098,496 bytes in size with an MD5 checksum of cc65c057b465ef1b94bd3607ebc8768c
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 10:06 AM
  • Michael, could you please give more details about what problem you are facing?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:31 AM
  • Описание:
      Stopped working

Сигнатура проблемы:
      Имя события проблемы:    CLR20r3
      Сигнатура проблемы 01:    sb.exe
      Сигнатура проблемы 02:    0.4.0.0
      Сигнатура проблемы 03:    49e39eb2
      Сигнатура проблемы 04:    mscorlib
      Сигнатура проблемы 05:    2.0.0.0
      Сигнатура проблемы 06:    48ead7c2
      Сигнатура проблемы 07:    fac
      Сигнатура проблемы 08:    0
      Сигнатура проблемы 09:    System.IO.FileLoadException
      Версия ОС:    6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
      Код языка:    1049

Прочтите заявление о конфиденциальности:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0419
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:14 PM
  • Hi Vijaye,
    Got the new v0.4 and installed it.  Didn't work.. Crashes when trying to launch SB now.. I tried first uninstalling v0.3, rebooting, then installing the new v0.4 (yes i got the v0.4 for sure).  Now it just apologizes for the inconvenience of not running, etc... Does the .net 3.5 framework need updating also?  I uninstalled the 0.4 and put 0.3 back and all works fine, but dang, would be nice to try the 0.4 version.  anyway, when you guys get it fixed on your end i would be glad to give it a try.. So far it has worked out very well in teaching basic programming concepts to middle and beginning high school kids... (Scope would be nice to have with SB, but i understand why it was left out)
    Oh, also it would be nice to have an offline printable version of the UPDATED api reference with the new timer object documented.  I have done an html to pdf conversion, but would like a better indexed pdf than what i am able to generate. 
    Thanks again for a neat platform for teaching, as well as having some fun programming.. I have been programming for over 35 years (wow, yes i am old..)  and this has actually brought back some of the fun i remember when I first got into it in the 70's!!!
    Keep up the great work!
    Frank
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Michael and Frank, could you please make sure you have .Net 3.5 SP1 installed? (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=AB99342F-5D1A-413D-8319-81DA479AB0D7&displaylang=en)

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:43 PM
  • http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b006d58d-c2c7-44ad-936b-e7e2d7de793e returns the v3 installer

Finally found the right installer on SmallBasic's homepage (though it says it's v3.1 it's v4.0)

After install, I can't boot SB. After debugging, I've found the problem :

Impossible de charger le fichier ou l'assembly 'ToolFramework, Version=0.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' ou une de ses dépendances. La définition trouvée du manifeste de l'assembly ne correspond pas à la référence de l'assembly. (Exception de HRESULT : 0x80131040)

In English, it's :

Unable to load the file or assembly named 'ToolFramework, Version=0.4.0.0, .....' or one of his depedencies. The definition that was found in the manifest of the assembly don't match with the reference of the assembly.

Hope it will help to fix,
    Fremy
    Fremy - Developer in VB.NET, C# and JScript ... - Feel free to try my extension
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 4:50 PM
  • I have .Net 3.5 SP1 installed.  I checked in add/remove programs in control panel.  There is something else going on...
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:50 PM
  • mine successfully installs, but then freezes on the splash screen.

then I tried Litdev's solution (delete all but \lib folder) and it works now. 

Wednesday, April 15, 2009 7:07 PM
  • I have .Net 3.5 SP1 installed.  I checked in add/remove programs in control panel.  There is something else going on...
    I have it too.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:30 AM
  • I helped complete removal Small Basic, and then a new installation.
    It works!
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:05 AM
  • I'm having the same problem as vick1211. When I download the install MSI, it tells me I am installing v.0.3.1, and that is the version number in the header of the SB.exe, and in the bottom-right of the IDE. This happens even if I go to the Microsoft Download Center page for SmallBasic 0.4

The MSI I am receiving is 5,098,496 bytes in size with an MD5 checksum of cc65c057b465ef1b94bd3607ebc8768c
    My last download try has the MD5 checksum cc65c057b465ef1b94bd3607ebc8768c and 5'098'496 Bytes, same as AngryTechnician. How can I recieve the newest version?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:02 AM
  • My last download try has the MD5 checksum cc65c057b465ef1b94bd3607ebc8768c and 5'098'496 Bytes, same as AngryTechnician. How can I recieve the newest version?
    http://www.windowswiki.info/downloads/SmallBasic.msi
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 4:45 PM
  • It seems that extension dlls have to be rebuilt for v0.4.  Not surprising since the SmallBasicLibrary.dll has changed.  I've re-uploaded the SpeechMusic extension which I think may only work with Vista (possibly due to DirectX libraries used?).

Anyway, perhaps the other extensions could be rebuilt and uploaded for those that want them.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 5:15 PM
  • Oh, here are the list of changes.
    I guess you can iggy my question on your blog.  :D
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:04 PM
  • It seems that extension dlls have to be rebuilt for v0.4.  Not surprising since the SmallBasicLibrary.dll has changed.  I've re-uploaded the SpeechMusic extension which I think may only work with Vista (possibly due to DirectX libraries used?).

Anyway, perhaps the other extensions could be rebuilt and uploaded for those that want them.

Yes, it's beeing done. I'm just doing some tests and I'll publish mine. It's a question of one or two days.

BTW, the French localisation seems good. No great problem encountered as of now. Thanks Fabien !
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:42 PM

Actually DirectX is supported on operating systems as far back as Windows 98, according to the Microsoft site

Users just need to download the DirectX End-User Runtime
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:18 PM
  • Thanks Rushworks,

If DirectX is the issue (only my guess, I don't have a XP so blame something I can't check!) maybe this could help someone.

In the end this about Small Basic encouraging people to have a go which I think is really worthwhile.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Is there an updated API reference with the timer object documented?  Is there a PDF version avaliable also?
    Thanks,
    Frank
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:58 PM
  • No, there's no official API.
    I tried to build one with SandCastle but there's too many dev-related stubs that are then documented, and it may confuse the users.

Maybe I can have another try using the SmallBasicLibrary.XML.... If I get some result, I'll post it in the forum.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:54 AM
  • Ok, Thanks.  I was looking at the XML last night and was trying to use Ecrion's XF designer to do the conversion.. Ran into some snags... I guess I could build one from scratch with Adobe Acrobat, but dang, this'll take a few hours to do... I wonder if Vijaye has a better solution?  :-)
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:37 PM
  • I really think it would be nice to have a "programmers manual" to supplement the getting started document. This would be very helpful to hand out in class. Frank
    Friday, April 17, 2009 12:38 PM
  • Hello!

Maybe it's good idea to add Clock.Ticks or similar property.
    Simple calculating of elapsed time requires too much coding with days, months, hours, mins etc.

--
    Grzesio
    Grzesio
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:19 AM