none
Email when High SQL Disk IO RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there anyway I can setup an alert/email on my SQL server to fire email as it detect high DiskIO. we are having disk latency more often now and I can't narrow it down, as soon as tech team inform me and I jump on to server, everything comes back to normal.

Thanks

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition with SP2 on widows 2008 R2 Standard

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:08 AM

Answers

All replies

• So what you would do if you get the email that there is High Disk I/O going on ?

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:16 AM
  • I want to narrow it down to database, I have couple of databases on that server. I can then get some info from users which they were running during that time and can tune the database if that's the case
    Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:21 AM
  • I want to narrow it down to database, I have couple of databases on that server. I can then get some info from users which they were running during that time and can tune the database if that's the case

I would say your approach is incorrect a SQL Server can go into high I/O many times a day and that would be normal. High I/O is expected on Big OLTP environments you would end up troubling yourslef with so many emails. How do you qualify a high disk I/O what benchmark will you set, crossing which a mail will be triggered.

Go to SQL Server errorlog if you see message like

' SQL Server has encountered x occurrence(s) of I/O requests taking longer that 15 sec to complete' If you see this message there might be issue. If not I would not say there is issue.

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:31 AM
  • Looking at last Latency issue timmings, I don't see any I/O request taking longer than 15 sec been recorded in log file. I been told by Tech team that it is SQL Server which is causing the problem.

Is there any other way I can narrow it down

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 11:50 AM
  • Looking at last Latency issue timmings, I don't see any I/O request taking longer than 15 sec been recorded in log file. I been told by Tech team that it is SQL Server which is causing the problem.

Is there any other way I can narrow it down

In team there are lot of people you who point fingers. Just because someone says that it is SQL Server causing problem it does not means it is SQL Server issue. Yes you can see disk performance ask Storage team to check the disk performance or you yourself can fire disk related counters

Following blog will help you

High Disk I/O from sql server or is High disk I/O slowing sql server?

Is Your Physical Disk I/O Affecting SQL Server Performance

Troubleshooting slow disk I/O in SQL server

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, March 11, 2015 12:09 PM