none
Access database, Swedish version and customer with English version of Access 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have developed a database for craft brewing and beverage trading i Sweden. I used the Swedish version of MS Access.
    One of my customers now need to use the English version of MS Office, including Access in English.

Most of the application run very well. But in a lot of queries i have Criteria like "[Formulär]![Brew]![PrimaryFermentID]"

With the English version that Criteria doesn't work and I have do do hundreds of changes to "[Forms]![Brew]![PrimaryFermentID]"

The English version doesn't translate the Swedish "Formulär" to English "Forms".

Is there something in Access Setup that can handle this issue? Or do I have do made all the needed changes from Formlär to Forms by hand?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm and Sigtuna GMT +1.00

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:03 PM

Answers

• Try executing the following code:

Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

For Each qdf In CurrentDb.QueryDefs
            qdf.SQL = Replace(qdf.SQL, "Formulär", "Forms")
        Next qdf

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:35 PM

All replies

• Where does this occur? In my Swedish Access 2016 I have:

Forms!abc.RecordSource = RecSrc 'Runs Ok
        Formulär!abc.RecordSource = RecSrc 'Error on 'Formulär'

Best regards, George

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:17 PM
  • Try executing the following code:

Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef

qdf.SQL = Replace(qdf.SQL, "Formulär", "Forms")
        Next qdf

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Interresting! I'll save that hint!

Best regards, George

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 4:43 PM
  • Hi Ken and George.

Thanks for helping me.

I opened a new form. Made a pushbutton with Kens code.

Database stoped responding for a while.
    Then an error message: "

The SELECT statement includes a reserved word or an argument name that is misspelled or missing, or the punctuation is incorrect. (Error 3141)"

But!! The code did its job. Every word "Formulär" in query criteria, and other "places" in the queries, was replaced with the word "Forms"

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 7:00 PM
  • If you run into other places where the Swedish word conflicts with the English one you can use the freeware V-Tools (skrol29.com) to do a deep search and replace for you entire database. It does a great job of going through everything.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Thanks Bill

I will try the V-Tools

Thursday, May 12, 2016 5:09 AM
  • Then an error message: "

The SELECT statement includes a reserved word or an argument name that is misspelled or missing, or the punctuation is incorrect. (Error 3141)"

I've found that manipulating queries' SQL property in code can sometimes report apparently non-existent errors.  You can avoid this by adding a line:

On Error Resume Next

before the loop.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:37 AM
  • Thanks again Ken!

Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:36 PM
  • Just FYI...I have version 2007 and when I tried to install the add-in, I got this error message.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:12 PM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Since v-Tools add ins is a third party product, if you have any issues about this, I suggest you connect v-Tools developers for help. They are more familiar with it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 13, 2016 2:48 AM
  • It shouldn't need to be installed the way most add-ins are installed. I just tried it in a new environment and the parts show up in the add-in window, but I got the same error when I tried to add it the usual way.

Something must have changed since the last time I installed it. I'll see if I can contact the developer.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Friday, May 13, 2016 2:37 PM
  • Ok, here's the deal:

Unzip the zip file to a temp folder on your C drive. Double-click the setup file. That will give you an install wizard. go through it. When it finishes open Access and open a database. The tools will be under the database tools tab> add-ins. They are NOT on the main add-ins tab.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com

Friday, May 13, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Thanks Bill, that seemed to work.

Larry

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Ken

Once again a big hand for your code.

May I propose some minor changes for Swedish users. If you use Swedish version of Access and creates a subForm using a wizard, the name of that subForm will be something ending up with "NNNNN underformlär"

So if I use Kens code, not only criteria like [Formulär]![Brew]![PrimaryFermetID] will change to the more useful [Forms]![Brew]!PrimaryFermentID]. Is there a subForm in that line the criteria will change into "NNNNN underForms" wich is a none existing subForm.

Private Sub Kommandoknapp0_Click()

On Error GoTo Change_err
       Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
        On Error Resume Next

qdf.sql = Replace(qdf.sql, "[Formulär]", "[Forms]")
        Next qdf

Change_Exit:
        Exit Sub
    Change_err:
        MsgBox Error$
        Resume Change_Exit
    End Sub

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 1:28 PM