Create a Proposal Generator using Excel VBA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, how can i make a proposal (i.e quotation for customers) by just using MS Excel?  MS Excel is needed to calculate the cost and such before a summary can be generated and put into the proposal.

i tried using "paste special" into a MS Word template. but when i moved the files, the link won't work. 

there is also an issue of size and spacing. because i wont know how many items that the customer wants, the template will usually leave a gap in between because the less space were used.. if there are more  stuffs, the margin would be affected. 

i hope someone can help me. thank u in advance

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thanks for posting. I think your question is unclear for me so that currently I cannot give much helpful information on this.  Would you mind telling us more information?

What do you mean quotation for customer? Do you mean copy the sentence from Word to Excel using VBA?

If yes, have you tried to use Copy/Paste method?

I am looking forward to your reply. Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Bessie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:27 AM
  • hi,

actually I need to generate proposals for customers. In the proposal, there would be a summary of the cost that the customers need to bare when purchasing our products. So before i can create the summary, i need to do some calculations in Excel. The specific details of the product with its desciptions would also be in the Excel sheets. What i did was i made a template of the proposal first and saved it lets say in "D:\Proposal.dotx".

Then I created an Excel workbook to calculate the cost of product that the customers require and saved it as ""D:\Workbook.xlsx". In the workbook, i copied certain cells and used "Paste Special" into certain parts of the Proposal.dotx. This is to link the data between these two files. It worked okay. BUT, there are problems...

[1] Sometimes, some customers need more products than what the others need. So when this happens, the range of selected cells had to be changed, so does the spacing/format/margin in Proposal.dotx. This is troublesome because i wont be the only 1 using this template, others that dont know how to manipulate the "Paste Special" would use it to.

[2] When i tried to move these files (Proposal.dotx and workbook.xlsx) to another place, the link doesn't work. There wont be anything pasted into Proposal.dotx when workbook.xlsx is update.

can it be solved? thank you in advance

Monday, November 8, 2010 3:21 AM