Can i use SQL Server 2008 R2 Failover cluster as a witness server for sql 2012 mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi SQL Experts,

AS per the subject i am sure all of you understood the question,

I will deploy Lync 2013 which requires SQL Mirroring (Lync does not support Always on features of sql 2012 so please do not suggest this option over here), i was thinking that instead of having a dedicated machine for witness only why dont i use the existing SQL 2008 R2 Failover cluster server to work as a witness, is it possible, can i do that, can 2008 R2 sql failover cluster with 2 node be a witness server of sql 2012.

Thanks

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 7:53 AM

Answers

• All server should be of same version . As per my knowledge you cannot use 2008 R2 server . 

----------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

• Proposed as answer by Ramesh Babu Vavilla Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by SKHATRI Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SKHATRI Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by SKHATRI Sunday, December 9, 2012 12:06 PM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Install sql express edition ..

----------------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:52 AM

All replies

• All server should be of same version . As per my knowledge you cannot use 2008 R2 server . 

----------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

• Proposed as answer by Ramesh Babu Vavilla Wednesday, December 5, 2012 10:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by SKHATRI Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Please refer to the following article :
    http://dba.stackexchange.com/questions/20865/version-of-witness-server-for-mirroring-sql-2012

-----------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

• Marked as answer by Shulei Chen Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:05 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Thank you for your reply, i understood and after reading the article totally agree with you.

one more concern, can i use the server where sql 2008 r2 reporting services are installed, can i install sql 2012 express on the same server and make that server as a witness

another question is while making a server as a witness do i have to install sql express edition first and then make it as a witness or during creation of witness sql express will be installed automatically

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hello,

one more concern, can i use the server where sql 2008 r2 reporting services are installed, can i install sql 2012 express on the same server and make that server as a witness

You could, but if the server is specifically setup for reporting services I probably wouldn't install SQL Server Express on it.

another question is while making a server as a witness do i have to install sql express edition first and then make it as a witness or during creation of witness sql express will be installed automatically

You don't have to use SQL Server express as a witness, you can use any installation you have that is the same version as the witness. If you have a 2012 instance already that is not part of the mirroring partnership then that can be used. All that is needed for the witness is an open database mirroring endpoint and port and the correct rights of the accounts or certificates.

I would also question why mirroring would be used with 2012 when it is deprecated as availability groups have come out.

-Sean

Sean Gallardy | Blog | Twitter

• Proposed as answer by Shulei Chen Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:05 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by SKHATRI Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Sean,

i do not have any sql server 2012 deployed in my premises, which is why this question is raised, so again i am asking the same question:

while making a server as a witness do i have to install sql express edition first and then make it as a witness or during creation of witness sql express will be installed automatically.

Please let me know the exact answer.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:26 AM
  • Install sql express edition ..

----------------------------

Thanks,Suhas Vallala

Thursday, December 6, 2012 6:52 AM
  • Hi,

Is your original question answered? If so, I would suggest you to mark as answer. If you have another question, you'd better to open a new thread to get better help.

Ray Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2012 7:03 AM