During Code Review users get this error "There are multiple users with the same display name " RRS feed

• Question

• Currently, this situation only affects 1 user. 

My developers are getting the following message when they assign one of their team to a code review.

There are multiple users with the same display name R*** O*** and at least one of them does not have read permissions to some of the files.

I had checked the forums and found another person with a similar issue, but there was no explanation or fix.  The problem just resolved itself.  I did run the script they provided and found that the user does indeed have 2 entries in the TFS_configuration database. The only thing different between the two is the UniqueUserID.  Last Sync is Null for both as well. This particular user left the company and our AD admins "deactivated" his account and when he came back, they re-activated it.  When looking at other areas of TFS, this user account only shows up once.

How do I remove the extra account so that my users no longer get this message? 

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that other community members got the same error message as you. And they got the issue resolved via changing the Display Name in the User Profile. Please check this blog for the detailed information:

http://xavierdilipkumar.com/post/2015/05/06/Error.aspx

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Heath S. _ Monday, August 31, 2015 9:05 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Heath,   

Thanks for your post.

How long time since AD admin reactivated this user and this user reconnected to TFS Server?

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 24, 2015 3:29 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that other community members got the same error message as you. And they got the issue resolved via changing the Display Name in the User Profile. Please check this blog for the detailed information:

http://xavierdilipkumar.com/post/2015/05/06/Error.aspx

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Heath S. _ Monday, August 31, 2015 9:05 PM
    Monday, August 24, 2015 9:22 AM
  • It has been a couple of months since the Developer was reactivated and started using VS\TFS.  It was only recently that others, on his team, started to comment about this error\issue.  this isn't the first time a person has left the company and come back, but it is the first time I have seen this issue.
    Monday, August 24, 2015 1:52 PM