Automate cross site lookup. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am using SharePoint 2013 and the publishing site Variations feature to translate lists for one of our customers. Now that customers would like an overview of the listitems and their translations, in one view or list.

We thought to make this by using a cross site lookup (we are using the plumsail cross site solution for this).The lookups work, and manually we can lookup the requested values and fill the overview list. However updating this list will become very time consuming as it continues growing.

I would like to automate this using a workflow. Right now the lookup works based on the article no. (which is unique). The article no. of the item in the overview list, is the same as the corresponding articles on the translation sites. The translated fields of the corresponding item are retrieved along with the article no.

I tried creating a workflow that fills the lookup fields with the article no. of the current item. That of course does not work, because the lookup field is not structured that way (it apparently has [ID];# tagged before the article no.

The internet offers some advice on how to tackle this problem for lookups within one site. However I need to lookup over different sites. Can anyone offer insight in how to solve this issue?

Thanks, Inge Weyers

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Inge,

According to your description, my understanding is that you want to create a lookup column to get value from another site.

I recommend to edit the form where the lookup column exists in InfoPath and add the lists you want as external data connections to the form, then set the value of the lookup column with the newly added external data source.

If you want to auto-populate the value in the lookup column, you can set the default value of the lookup column and add filter to auto-populate the needed value.

Best regards.

Thanks

Victoria Xia
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by JasonGuo Monday, February 17, 2014 1:32 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2014 5:23 AM