Using Blend for Game Design

General discussion

• Is it possible to use Blend to design levels and GUI for Windows Store games (Written in C#, probably C++ for some)?
    Wednesday, November 26, 2014 6:23 PM

All replies

• Hi BigBoolean,

As I know Blend can be used to design UI, which is far more easier than Visual Studio, however it really depend on what game you would like to design. See this for more information: Blend for Visual Studio 2013

By using Blend in conjunction with Visual Studio, you can take advantage of the powerful HTML and XAML design tools in Blend to more quickly and easily customize the appearance of your app. You can focus on visually building your application from the bottom up, including the structure, layout, data views, and look and feel of your app, instead of focusing on the syntax of your code.

Use Blend to design levels, it could be possible to design usercontrols if you would like to apply different level different scenario. But i'm not experienced with that. 

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:21 AM
  • The types of games I had in mind were arcade style games(Like Platformers, Mazes, and Shmups), thing is I just wanted to use non-tile based tools to design games for the Windows Store. 
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:34 AM
  • As I know, Blend is a excellent tool for UI design, I'm not sure if you can use it for some arcade games, not sure 2D or 3D, we can use XAML for some 2D games, but if you would like to dev 3D game in Windows Store App, probably using DirectX is a better choice.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2013/03/22/developing-windows-store-games.aspx

The blog I paste here could be a good help for you.

--James

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Sunday, December 07, 2014 2:44 PM