Brush stroke gradients RRS feed

• Question

• I can't quite get it right but how would I set a 1px gradient on top of another solid black stroke using the brush stroke?, only archived doing 2 solid colors.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:49 PM

Answers

• Made some more trials, I see the direction of the resulting gradient is too unpredictable.
    Now, if you have many of these items to draw and don't like making two purposely resized figures each time, I have a last idea to try.

Made a little black borderless box and made a brush from it, positiong it in the upper stroke area:

Now, draw your rectangle or figure, fill with your color, put around it a normal gradient border, sizing it 2px, miter joins.
    Make a copy or your figure, assign it a transparent fill and the new border, sizing it 2px, miter joins.
    Use align centers to align exactly the two figures. You may group them to better handle them from now on.
    Since the black border is the external half of 2px, it will be 1px and you should see the gradient below only in the internal 1px half.

Note: you may have noticed that when you stretch an object, the custom stroke will be deformed.
    Check the "automatically commit tranforms" in the general options to prevent this from happening. Also, you may want to uncheck "scale stroke width" in the stroke options so you can safely resize your items without their borders to grow past 2px.

• Marked as answer by MEuser1 Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:51 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:05 PM

All replies

• If I understand correctly there may be a couple of ways:

1 - create a psuedo stroke as a separate object using compound paths OR Paths > Front minus back on two suitably sized rectangles then add a strokeless gradient fill to the object

2 - create a rectangle with solid stroke (or is it a pen drawn stroke with basic stroke) then decompose the stroke > add a strokeless gradient fill

The idea with both is to use ordering of objects in the Layers panel (I prefer to call it Object list) so that it looks like a basic rectangle but really is two, three or more separate objects suitably arranged both on screen and in Layer list to look like a basic rectangle with a groovy stroke.

There might be a way to do a gradient stroke (try help files?)

• Edited by BBB Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:48 PM uh forgot
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:45 PM
  • The simpler thing would be to make a gradient box with the black border, and another box centered on it with the central color, but if you want to use a single brush for the double border, you mat give this a try:

Draw an horizontal line with the solid color. Just right below, put another horizontal line with the gradient you want. You're better make them somewhat thick too see them better. Align them precisely (right and left, same width), and don't leave any space in between. Now select both and use the stroke menu -new stroke definition.

In the stroke definition, align the lines with the definition box, after this, make sure to select for both lines miter join and square cap. Save your stroke and draw with it the figure you want. It should have the two borders, you can change the border width to 2px so each half will be 1px.

The bigger problem seems how to orient the gradient in the brush to achieve the effect you want in the figure, make few trials in different direction until you find your preferred (you can edit a stroke by selecting any shape you have drawn with it and using stroke - edit stroke).

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:03 PM
  • That might work, but now I have another problem . Strokes can't be set anything but black and white. is that why all brushes are black?
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 11:30 PM
  • The strokes in the library are black so they can later take any color. The color you pick is assigned to the black areas of the stroke, with the gray areas getting a lighter tone. But if you design your own stroke, you can make it in every color, or combination of.

The problem is, if you make a colored stroke, you must not change its color, or it will appear like it was designed in gray shades. So right after having saved your new stroke, draw something with it, immediately, without select first any other color or stroke. Just save and immediately draw. Once you have "something" with your colored stroke, you can apply it to any other object using the attribute dropper (or making and then releasing compounds paths with the sample)

For this, I generally revert to colored strokes only when alternatives will be quite complicated, like in this case:

(Note that a linear gradient used in a brush will stay linear in the figure, it won't "curve"). Once Design has made the hard work, I may convert the stroke to a path to finish some details. I'm using design 3.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 5:21 PM
  • I've  been getting something similar to this, but you can clearly see that it's not a good transition. Have also tried changing start points.

The right one is the brush stroke.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6529/examplew.png

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Made some more trials, I see the direction of the resulting gradient is too unpredictable.
    Now, if you have many of these items to draw and don't like making two purposely resized figures each time, I have a last idea to try.

Made a little black borderless box and made a brush from it, positiong it in the upper stroke area:

Now, draw your rectangle or figure, fill with your color, put around it a normal gradient border, sizing it 2px, miter joins.
    Make a copy or your figure, assign it a transparent fill and the new border, sizing it 2px, miter joins.
    Use align centers to align exactly the two figures. You may group them to better handle them from now on.
    Since the black border is the external half of 2px, it will be 1px and you should see the gradient below only in the internal 1px half.

Note: you may have noticed that when you stretch an object, the custom stroke will be deformed.
    Check the "automatically commit tranforms" in the general options to prevent this from happening. Also, you may want to uncheck "scale stroke width" in the stroke options so you can safely resize your items without their borders to grow past 2px.

• Marked as answer by MEuser1 Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:51 PM
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 4:05 PM
  • Thank you, that works perfectly. I just hope in the next release they implement a feature to add more than one stroke to an object like illustrator does.
    Thursday, April 15, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I find stacking objects with different strokes to be helpful and I'll need to check out the feature in Illustrator for sure.

Friday, April 16, 2010 8:44 AM
  • The stuff here was created using an earlier and now not available public beta of one of ED's forerunners (EGD or Acrylic?) and might be possible in CH Expression 3.3.

The relatively solid strokes can be gradient filled but the soft edge is probably not doable in ED.

Link here

Friday, April 16, 2010 12:25 PM