none
Report View RRS feed

• Question

• Weird question...

My report view is different from my print preview. I worked on this one report for half the day yesterday (between design and report view). Then I looked at print preview, it is exactly how I want it. So my question is........

Is this just how Access is? OR, am I missing something that will allow me to view my report in report view the way I want it to be viewed....

Follow on question/comment...True or False, report view is the default view when VBA or other events open a report?

Thank y'all for any insight.

~jshot

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Report View does not include pagination, so it may be what you're seeing as being different when using Print Preview. In other words, Report View is optimized to be displayed on the screen while Print Preview is optimized to be used for printing hard copies on paper.

And as for the default view, it is set with whatever is selected in the Design View Property Window. If you don't select any, I think it will select Report View for you. But you can override the default view at any time when using VBA by providing an argument for the ReportView parameter. For example:

DoCmd.OpenReport "ReportName", acViewPreview

Hope it helps...

• Marked as answer by jshot Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

I can't remember exactly but I think Report View was new in either 2007 or 2010, but the original intent of reports, in general, were to lay out the data for hard paper copies. For the purpose of displaying the information on screens, we've always used forms for it.

One difference between Print Preview and Report View, aside from the pages, is a Report View is "interactive," which means, you can use code to perform user actions. For example, you can place a button on the report and have users click on it to do certain things while viewing in Report View. Print Previews are "static." Users can only look at it and print it - there's nothing else they can do with it.

Just my 2 cents...

• Marked as answer by jshot Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Report View does not include pagination, so it may be what you're seeing as being different when using Print Preview. In other words, Report View is optimized to be displayed on the screen while Print Preview is optimized to be used for printing hard copies on paper.

And as for the default view, it is set with whatever is selected in the Design View Property Window. If you don't select any, I think it will select Report View for you. But you can override the default view at any time when using VBA by providing an argument for the ReportView parameter. For example:

DoCmd.OpenReport "ReportName", acViewPreview

Hope it helps...

• Marked as answer by jshot Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:45 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:43 PM
  • Thanks DB,

That was exactly my issue. You nailed it. I thought it was something along those lines. Should it still show all respective detail in each respective record (white and grey) from page header to page footer?

Oh and thanks for the code, Ill put it in my hip pocket... itll def be used.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

I don't have a report in front of me to check but the alternating color should still show up in Report View. However, I am not so sure about the page header and footer since report view does not have pagination.

It's an interesting question I'll have to check. Let me know if you're able to test it sooner.

Cheers!

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 3:07 PM
  • So heres what I found...

Still limited in what you can display but if you move the page header contents down into the first custom header (I have mine grouped by PO Number...no footer) along with everything that filters with it... leave your itemized product in its own custom header (Products...no footer)..."Detail" Section Blank.

The limitation is (going back to your point with the report view/pagination issue) the "page footer" section is left out.

moved everything back to its respective section...still tweaking it...

Print Preview is my new best friend

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:14 PM
  • Hi,

I can't remember exactly but I think Report View was new in either 2007 or 2010, but the original intent of reports, in general, were to lay out the data for hard paper copies. For the purpose of displaying the information on screens, we've always used forms for it.

One difference between Print Preview and Report View, aside from the pages, is a Report View is "interactive," which means, you can use code to perform user actions. For example, you can place a button on the report and have users click on it to do certain things while viewing in Report View. Print Previews are "static." Users can only look at it and print it - there's nothing else they can do with it.

Just my 2 cents...

• Marked as answer by jshot Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:53 PM
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:49 PM
  • This makes sense.

Thanks a million. Always a huge help.

~jshot

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 4:55 PM
  • Always happy to assist. Cheers!
    Tuesday, June 26, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Another point worth bearing in mind is that you can set the name for a report template in Access options.  If you then place a report of this name in the database, any new reports you create in report design view will take on many of the properties of the template, including its default view.  The same is true for forms.  I keep a set of standard forms and reports in a file and then copy whichever of these I want as the templates into a new database before creating other objects, renaming them frmTemplate and rptTemplate respectively in the new database.  Once I've finished the design of the database I delete the template reports.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Tuesday, June 26, 2018 9:35 PM