Using custom database for MOSS 2007 solutions RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

I would ;like to know under which circumstances should we decide to go for a custom database for a MOSS solution instead of

default sp content database. Are there any guidelines describing the scenarios\reqiurements where we could opt for custom database instead of list and libraries. Basically my requirements match close to custom database but the client is interested in using moss 2007 for mere 2 workflows and basic search implementation. I would like to highlight the key points which would suggest him to go for a custom database for moss 2007.  Can anyone guide me on it

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:13 PM

Answers

• If you are going to use Sharepoint then you have no choice but to use the database that Sharepoint provides. In fact, SP creates the database for you, and you have no say on the matter. All you can specify is the name of the database that it will create for you, and its maximum size.

If your question is whether you should use Sharepoint at all, then, you should ask yourself whether Sharepoint satisfies the requirements enough to warrant using it, as opposed to developing it yourself. Usually MOSS is implemented to provide Collaboration, ECM, Records Management, Search, and many other services to a company, and not as a replacement for a single web application.

hope this helps,

sivilian

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• If you are going to use Sharepoint then you have no choice but to use the database that Sharepoint provides. In fact, SP creates the database for you, and you have no say on the matter. All you can specify is the name of the database that it will create for you, and its maximum size.

If your question is whether you should use Sharepoint at all, then, you should ask yourself whether Sharepoint satisfies the requirements enough to warrant using it, as opposed to developing it yourself. Usually MOSS is implemented to provide Collaboration, ECM, Records Management, Search, and many other services to a company, and not as a replacement for a single web application.

hope this helps,

sivilian

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, December 29, 2011 8:19 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Hi, share point creates a database for you user sql database and if you think to use custom database you can use to store some of the data to custom data base from share point as using the custom webparts.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 6, 2012 6:50 PM sig removed
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:06 PM
  • Hi,

You can not custom database in sharepoint. 

Sharepoint uses its own database schema and databases. 

You should never customize any existing DB otherwise MSFT will withdraw the support.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Friday, December 23, 2011 8:02 AM
  • You could use a separate SQL server database and link to it using SharePoint Designer.  I ported a MS Access database to SQL Server and played with it once, but it took some fiddling to get the connection string working, and had to get the settings right on the SQL server to allow writes and deletes.  This approach was driven because there was an existing MS Access database structure, and others wanted to still get into it directly, not through SharePoint.  Porting was relatively easy because there was an export wizard.

I sometimes use MS Access to develop a schema then port the tables to MOSS 2007 lists... MS Access has a feature for that.  Then I tweak in SharePoint.  I write and delete records in linking tables (ie SharePoint lists) using Marc Anderson's jQuery Library for SharePoint Services http://spservices.codeplex.com/.  Using the UpdateListItems operation.

G

Thursday, December 29, 2011 5:32 PM