Visual Studio community 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am learning C# with Head first. The first chapter asks to create a local sql DB. But, am not able to do that in VS2015. Can anyone help me on this please.

Thanks,

Santhosh

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:33 PM

Answers

• Hi, do you mean localDB? this is an option in SQL Server Express
    Friday, February 10, 2017 6:47 PM
  • Hi Santhosh12992,

According to your description 'am not able to do that in VS2015', could you please tell us which error message did you meet? Is it a message like 'Cannot connect to (localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB'?

By default, LocalDB will be installed with Visual Studio, it looks like that you did not select 'SQL Server Data Tools' when you install Visual Studio. 

You can use the method given from KevinNicholas, as a supplement of his reply, you can refer to this document: SQL Server 2016 Express LocalDB. Besides, you can also add the SQL Server Data Tools by using the installation media of Visual Studio.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Teige Gao Monday, February 13, 2017 2:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Monday, February 13, 2017 2:27 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi, do you mean localDB? this is an option in SQL Server Express
    Friday, February 10, 2017 6:47 PM
  • Hi Santhosh12992,

According to your description 'am not able to do that in VS2015', could you please tell us which error message did you meet? Is it a message like 'Cannot connect to (localdb)\MSSQLLocalDB'?

By default, LocalDB will be installed with Visual Studio, it looks like that you did not select 'SQL Server Data Tools' when you install Visual Studio. 

You can use the method given from KevinNicholas, as a supplement of his reply, you can refer to this document: SQL Server 2016 Express LocalDB. Besides, you can also add the SQL Server Data Tools by using the installation media of Visual Studio.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
    Teige

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Teige Gao Monday, February 13, 2017 2:03 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi N Monday, February 13, 2017 2:27 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2017 1:54 AM