Missing Basic Features in "Metro" Section

Question

• I, WindowsVista567, created this post under an account that has since been deleted. If you have any questions about this post, I will respond to them from the "WindowsVista567" account, as I no longer have access to this one. Visit the "WindowsVista567 - old account" profile page for more information. The same is true of all other posts from 'WindowsVista567 - old account."

Am I the only one who has noticed the lack of basic functionality? Basic features, such as closing a program, shutting down the computer, and viewing open applications are either hard to find, poorly labeled, or nonexistent. For example, when I open an app, I can access it by clicking at the side of the screen and dragging, but I cannot see a list of open applications, and I can't find a "close" button on the app. The only way I can figure out to close a program is to use the Task Manager, and even then, I can't find a way to close apps such as Control Panel. Also, the organization needs huge improvement. For example, why is "Control Panel" separate from "Settings?" These are serious questions that need to be addressed.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:50 PM

Answers

• 1) There is no "close app" for Metro-style apps. They will  close on their own.

2) Use alt-tab to switch between apps.

3) Power shut down is under Settings.

This is a preview and we will continue to evaluate options base on feedback.  Thanks for your information.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:26 AM

All replies

• Just to clarify, I am not trying to criticize the software. I am only asking two things:

1. Are the features listed above actually present?

2. How are these features accessed, and will they work this way in the final version?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:52 PM
  • To shutdown the PC navigate to the start menu, go to Settings and click Power. You can also press Win + I on the keyboard. I personally never use the shutdown or sleep button, I close the lid to sleep and power down by pressing the power button.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:22 PM
  • 1) There is no "close app" for Metro-style apps. They will  close on their own.

2) Use alt-tab to switch between apps.

3) Power shut down is under Settings.

This is a preview and we will continue to evaluate options base on feedback.  Thanks for your information.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Thanks for the help. However, I wonder if this confusing design will cause problems in the future. Most people don't know how to navigate Windows with the keyboard, and they're not likely to try to learn now. They expect to be able to do everything with the mouse, just like in Windows today. On Jensen Harris's Office User Interface Blog, he writes about not requriing users to "look under rocks," or dig down deep to find features, but Windows "8" seems to be guilty of this "turning rocks" problem, moreso than Windows Vista or 7. For example, why hide the "Shut Down" option under some obscure menu? Harris's post starts off with the phrase "One of the tenets of the Office 12 user interface is that we don't want people to have to look 'under rocks,'" and this should be a priority for Windows 8 as well. Otherwise, people will be confused. Also, every app should have the option to be closed. I really can't figure out a reason not to, and this feels like a shortcoming of most cell phone interfaces like Apple's iOS.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 12:51 AM
  • I have made some suggestions in the blog about this issue.

One of the problems not allowing users to explicitly close metro-styled app is privacy. If a metro-styled app shows something the user doesn't want others to see. The user would only like to peek at it for a few seconds then close it. If it is only left in the background by pressing windows key until being swapped out by system, the sensitive information may be brought back on the screen unintentionally by pressing windows key (or alt-tab).

Imagine you're reading a personal mail in a metro-styled app and your coworker is asking you to demo something in your computer. Guess what? A keystroke error when you're using alt-tab to switch among apps may expose your personal mail in front of your coworker's face.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:05 AM
  • You're right. This is a huge oversight on the part of the Windows team. I dont' usually say things like this, but I wonder how the development process could have gotten this far without someone catching this problem. As for the menus, I hope everything will be clearly labeled by the time Windows "8" ships.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:21 AM