none
Tool Bar - View- 'Site' is pale grey (ie not live). Help RRS feed

• Question

• Msoft Exp Web 4     

Tools - View. I have 'PAGE' live but the 'SITE' option is not live. It is just in pale grey and can't be clicked on. I tried unticking 'Page' in the hope that 'Site' would go live butPage won't untick.  I really need the SITE and the PAGE as options. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:11 AM

Answers

• You don't start by opening a page.  You start by opening a site.  Then you open pages.

If it's not a defined site to EW, it's just a directory full of files, not a site.

• Marked as answer by sandyocean1 Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi Thanks everyone. I thought I had set it up properly. But your statements made me recheck. I had a go at setting it all up again - and that worked. All good.
    • Marked as answer by sandyocean1 Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:03 AM

All replies

• View->Site will only be active when you have a website open.

Site->Open Site and browse to the folder storing your website.
    Then View->Site will be active.

You should not be editing pages until you have opened a site.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:02 AM
  • Hi Thanks. But the wenbsite I am creating is OPEN. I go to C drive and the Website. I open one  - or a few pages -  which all show up at the top and I can go from one to the other page. But  no matter what - that 'SITE option never goes live.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Yes but is it a 'defined site' or are you just opening a list of files from the file system?

Did you start by creating it as a site in EW?

Close EW and reopen it. Then go to 'Site - Open site' and navigate to the folder containing your pages. Having done that, go to 'Site - Site Settings' and check the box 'Maintain the site using hidden metadata files'

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

• Edited by Ian Haynes Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:17 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 10:14 AM
  • You don't start by opening a page.  You start by opening a site.  Then you open pages.

If it's not a defined site to EW, it's just a directory full of files, not a site.

• Marked as answer by sandyocean1 Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:02 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2013 1:12 PM
  • Hi Thanks everyone. I thought I had set it up properly. But your statements made me recheck. I had a go at setting it all up again - and that worked. All good.
    • Marked as answer by sandyocean1 Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:03 AM