Are many MSDN Help links broken/invalid? or is it me? RRS feed

• Question

• Just as I am honing in on the solution to a VB 2005 Express problem which has brick-walled me for days, I find in over 50% of cases that the final link to what I am searching for presents an "Information not found" page. This is soooo frustrating. The latest occurrence is that all of the links in the following do just this:

How to: Manage Local Data Files in Your Project

See Also

Tasks

How to: Connect to Data in a SQL Server Express Database
    How to: Connect to Data in an Access Database
    Walkthrough: Connecting to Data in a SQL Server Express Database
    Walkthrough: Connecting to Data in an Access Database

Concepts

Displaying Data Overview

Other

Are other VB 2005 Express developers having the same problem?

Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:40 AM

Answers

• This was happening to me but I copied your title "How to: Manage Local Data Files in Your Project " and pasted to Google.  When I clicked from there and got to the MSDN2 page in question, all the links worked!  Good stuff there.  Maybe they just uploaded those articles.  In any case this whole section is just what I was looking for so thanks for getting me on to it.

--John

Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:41 AM

All replies

• This was happening to me but I copied your title "How to: Manage Local Data Files in Your Project " and pasted to Google.  When I clicked from there and got to the MSDN2 page in question, all the links worked!  Good stuff there.  Maybe they just uploaded those articles.  In any case this whole section is just what I was looking for so thanks for getting me on to it.

--John

Saturday, January 14, 2006 1:41 AM
  • I'm glad to have been of assistance John, and your post has enabled me to solve my problem also.

Productivity, in my case, is not enhanced  by the long-winded manner in which I have to pursue to solve the simplest of questions using Help; I have had to outlay $200 in reference manuals to surplant it, and SQL. It's hardly seamless.

I've looked ahead a little into providing Help for my users in my application and this situation appears as though it's going to be even worse. F1 Help is "implementable" but certainly not simply or seamlessly, and context-sensitive help a complete no-no apparently.

I'd better not get started on the issues presented to developers regarding database  (SQL & Access) connectivity and manipulation support, or I'll be here forever.

All in all, apart from my above gripes, VB 2005 Express to me, has much promise. 

Whether I'll consider the professional version remains to be seen.

Again, pleased to have been of assistance.

Allen (Melbourne, Australia - 1546 AEST (0446 GMT)

Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:47 AM