none
SQL Backup to URL via SAS token not working - Operating system error 50 (The request is not supported.)

Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to get our SQL servers hosted in Azure VMs to back up to block blob files using Backup to URL and SAS tokens.

However, whenever I generate and create the credential for the SAS token I always receive the following error:

Cannot open backup device 'https://storageaccount.blob.core.windows.net/container/backupfile.bak'. Operating system error 50(The request is not supported.).

(I have modified the URI by removing the actual container, db name, backup file name,  and storage account used.  The URI that is used, however, has been confirmed as being correct).

I have verified the container is private, and uses block blob files.

I have also verified the storage used is Standard, not Premium.

Has anyone seen this error when trying to backup to URL via a SAS token, and found a solution?

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

• Edited by MWizsocool Monday, June 12, 2017 3:00 PM Correct an error in URI
    Monday, June 12, 2017 2:57 PM

All replies

• Refer SQL Server Backup to URL Best Practices and Troubleshooting.

If it doesn’t address your query I recommend you create a technical support ticket to find the root cause of the issue. The ticket enables you to work closely with the support engineers and get a quick resolution for your issue.

To raise a support ticket for Azure Site Recovery, reach out to Azure Support by using the URL at  http://aka.ms/getazuresupport

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Thanks.  I've already gone through the document you referenced.  Unfortunately, this scenario isn't covered.

I've also already escalated this thru Microsoft's Premium support who are now escalating the issue further to Senior Engineers.  I'm waiting to hear back.

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 5:43 PM
  • Could you provide the associated ticket number (SR) I can refer to? 

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:34 AM
  • Sure thing.

REG:117061215880446

And I'm currently waiting for a call from a senior engineer to continue working on this, so if you can assist with moving this forward it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 9:56 PM
  • Hi,Is this been resolved?
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:55 AM