none
Documenting software development process RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone!

I need some pointers to help me figuring out the documentation that I need to put together for the project that I am working on.

I was looking around trying to find a good, well written guide on how to write technical documentation and found some templates that had very high level descriptions.

Here are couple things that I need to figure out:

Can anyone point me at examples of required documents or a guide that would explain different techniques of writing technical documentation?

What are the requirements at your workplace and what procedures do you have as far as documentation goes?

I would appreciate any help and thoughts on this!

• Edited by devshed Monday, April 13, 2009 3:19 PM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 6:03 PM

All replies

• Search Google for "software requirements specification type:doc" and you should find the basic document for specifying a software project.
    Andrew Siemer www.andrewsiemer.com blog.andrewsiemer.com www.socialnetworkingin.net
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Hi devshed,

Please do not say documenting the software development process is boring. You need  to document very design , your code , the development process that you are implementing in your project.

In sample scenario , if you need your observe that you are going to do in a document.

• What should be the document structure should like ?
    • What is the font size for Heading and the font size of the technical contents in your word document ?
    • What should be contents in each document. Talk to people  , get their suggestions , it reduce to your thought process . Put their suggestion and their available point in your document , only if it makes sense to you.
    • Before you create a template , consult with your colleagues before coming with final template.
    • Very important template for each stage of project software architecture template document should very different from the technical document that you are going to create for UML technical design.

The very process in your your project from technical design , software architecture , coding standards for project and the various phases of your project has to be documented.

It is a time taking process , it is very essential  part of your project. Please ensure that your document meets industry level standards in your document. It is really worth the effort.

Regards,
    Phijo Mathew Philip.

PHIJO MP
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:51 AM
  • I have found the IEEE to be a good source of templates and documentation on what should be documented.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/ISOL/package.jsp?punumber=28&type=P

Joseph w Donahue joseph@odonahue.com www.odonahue.com
    Friday, April 10, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Thanks for replies, this was helpful!
    Monday, April 13, 2009 3:22 PM