none
Migrating backed up data to another Recovery Services vault RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a few questions.

1) I have been backing up to GRS for quite some time, and I'm trying to migrate to LRS for more recent data, and Archive Storage for older data. Can I automate either of those, using the Microsoft Azure Backup tool?

2) I created a new LRS, and started backing up to it, and it looks like I have no access to the old GRS for restores.

3) If I won't be able to access the old GRS, how do I delete the files from it?

Thanks!

Jeff

Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:23 PM

Answers

All replies

• Recovery Services vault cannot be deleted if there are backup items in soft-deleted state in the vault. The soft-deleted items are permanently deleted after 14 days of delete operation. You can delete the vault only after all the soft deleted items have been purged. 

Refer to my post in the forum link - https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fe976c66-707e-49a0-8702-5f43b13dc1b0/moving-azure-backup?forum=windowsazureonlinebackup 

Friday, October 11, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Thanks for your response! 

I had two servers backing up to the same GRS. I migrated the data from one of them. Does the soft-delete happen for the migrated server automatically? Do I need to move the backup of both servers before the soft-delete, and then the actual deletion of the Recovery Services Vault?

Thanks again!

Friday, October 11, 2019 4:54 PM
  • Soft delete is an option that gets enabled at the vault level. It is enabled upon using delete backup option giving users 14 days time to recovery their data if it was accidently deleted or user wants to retain the data for future use.

Moving data from one vault another is not support. See the FAQ page

Can I move backup data to another vault?

No. Backup data stored in a vault can't be moved to a different vault.

Can I change from GRS to LRS after a backup?

No. A Recovery Services vault can only change storage options before any backups have been stored.

Monday, October 14, 2019 11:32 AM
  • Thank you!
    Tuesday, October 15, 2019 4:18 PM
  • You're welcome. :)
    Wednesday, October 16, 2019 6:33 AM