Change integrity level to high? RRS feed

• Question

• I have one WPF program to control all windows, like minimize, maximize, move, close..., etc. This program runs with medium integrity level. It cannot control the non-elevated window with high integrity level, like Device Manager and Window Services. If I want to control them, my program must be high integrity. But I don't want to elevate my program to pop up UAC dialog.

I tried to use chml tool to change file's integrity. But It still ran with medium integrity.

All discussions about integrity on Internet are the exchange between medium and low level.

Is it possible to raise the one program's integrity from medium to high without elevation? If yes, how to raise it?

Or are there any methods that is able to make program to run with high integrity without elevation?

Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:56 AM

Answers

• Integrity level is implemented by removing privileges from the process token, so you cannot change the integrity level once the process is started. To run a process in a high integrity level you have to run it elevated.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Marked as answer by Joe CL Hsu Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:43 PM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:46 PM