Need trigger help for online webased game (Not sure posting in right forum) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all! I'm a pretty experienced C# (WinForm) developer and now, on my spare time, i have decided to create a web based (no graphics) strategy game.

The problem right now, in this early start, that is concerning me is this:

The idea is that the user should gain military recoures over time and the user should be able to attack other user...

But i want a pending state so when the user wants to attack it should take, say 2 hrs, before the attack occurs....

How should i trigger the attack? Or where?, should i have an external application running on my server that polls the attackDatabase table so when the time has come (2 hrs) later the application handles the attack...

I not quite sure how to deal with this, or can the sql trigger some kind of code when the time has run out. I mean, the user is not most likely to sit and wait with the browser open so I cant handle the actuall attack in the browser?

Any hint or help would be MUCH appreciated!

• Moved by John Saunders Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:26 PM Way off topic (From:ASMX Web Services and XML Serialization)
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Tobias,

Thanks for your post.

As MSDN and TechNet Forums are for IT professionals to post technical questions such as development, testing, deployment,etc. But we cannot find any forums which can help with your web game development issue.

If you can provide more information for us to redirect your question, it will be helpful for both of us.

Have a nice day.

Thanks
    Liam Huang
    STO Application Support
    Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:42 AM
  • Well, my question really was about the approach on how to be able to run code from the server, if it possible to trigger some code action from the sql server or if i must write an external program to handle events meaning i need to poll the database for changes....

It has really nothing to do with game development at all but more a question about how solve a design problem... :)

Thursday, August 18, 2011 1:21 PM
  • Hi Tobias,

Can you try to posting your question in one of the forum:

SQL Server > SQL Server Forums > SQL Server XML
    Located at
    Hope this would be helpful.

Thanks
    Liam Huang
    STO Application Team
    Server and Tools Online Operations Team
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 11:42 PM