none
Excel Add-in Deployment Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having problems deploying an Excel 2007 add-in. I've created the setup as per the site below and also checked against a sample VSTO project(link also below). 

I'm trying to deploy it using group policies, when I run it as administrator on a machine it installs without problem, but when I use group policies to push it out, it shows in Excel but won't start. I've checked all prerequisites are included. I'm unsure whether this is an issue with my setup in Visual Studio 2010 or how I'm pushing it out. I'm using the same technique to push out the prerequisites and they install without issue(I've checked the event logs and everything seems to have installed ok). The addin needs to run for all users. I have noticed that when I install it using GP the registry entries come under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE(when run locally its written to the current user) and so Excel complains when you attempt to enable it from a non admin account(obviously permissions regarding changes to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, I've checked it can't be enabled under an admin account it just disables itself without any warnings even with VSTO_SUPPRESSDISPLAYALERTS set)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vsto/ff937654.aspx

http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/VSTO2010MSI/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=4539

Is this the typical deployment strategy for addins to deployed across a large network or am I making more hassle than its worth.

Thanks for any assistance

Kevin

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:49 PM

Answers

• Never mind I figured it out. The problem lay with how I was pushing it out. If I push out the VSTO runtimes and the PIA through computer config and the actual addin under user it seems to work.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:27 AM

All replies

• Never mind I figured it out. The problem lay with how I was pushing it out. If I push out the VSTO runtimes and the PIA through computer config and the actual addin under user it seems to work.
    Wednesday, June 29, 2011 8:27 AM
  • Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

I’m glad to hear you have solved your issue. Thanks for sharing your experience here. It’s very beneficial for other community members who have similar issue to see how you solved your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:52 AM