none
Visual Studio 2005 uninstallable after .NET 3.5/VS2008/etc. fubar RRS feed

• Question

• Things went very far south, starting with a failed attempt to install VS2008/.NET 3.5, as described here: VS2008 and .NET 3.5 RTM install failure, .NET 2.0 broken

Then, I had a short-answer question about Add or Remove Programs (ARP) that was answered here: Still trying to get .NET 2.0/VS2005 working post-aborted .NET 3.5 install
    (And so now I now both how to work around defective ARP entries, and how to remove them.)

(I'm "still trying to get VS2005 working" but wasn't sure if marking something as an "answer" in a thread would make it less visible, so here we go again. I'll wait till it realio and trulio is working before I mark this "answered.")

I made my best effort to follow the KB article about uninstalling VS2005, spent almost the whole day today trying to make sure everything was clean as can be, with the Install Clean Up utility, etc., as documented at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907965

Now, trying to do a clean install of VS2005 Pro from the MSDN disks, since Firefox won't run a .exe file out of the browser, I launched the setup.exe from a command prompt. When that got to "insert Disk 1" I had no way to browse (or otherwise point) to the DISK1 folder on the DVD that was in the drive. [Retry] looped. Had to [Cancel]. Setup failed (obviously), and it also failed to exit cleanly. I sent the error report to Microsoft, as requested.

Trying again, from IE, the process didn't even get that far, but complained that D:\english\vs2005pro\disk1\vs_setup.msi could not be opened. Again, [Retry] looped to the same error dialog, and had to [Cancel].

I seem to keep finding new ways of getting nowhere, and am getting inexpressibly frustrated at the cascade of broken install and uninstall Visual Studio packages.

I thought I was pretty desperate on December 13 when I asked: What [all] needs to be removed at this point, in what order, and then what order should I attempt to reinstall things?

I had no idea. In retrospect, had I been given the answer "back up your user data, reformat your HDs and start over by resinstalling WinXP," that would have been good advice (even though it would have sounded too drastic for me to actually take). What I do have at the moment is a working Visual Studio 2003 installation, with .NET 1.1, and SQL Server 2000, and AFAIK, a clean install of .NET 2.0.

I'm by no means in the same place, but I still have the same question. Microsoft asks: where do you want to go today? My answer is: somewhere that I can make Visual Studio 2005 work.  Where my system was on the morning of Dec. 10 would be good.

Imagine this post written in all capital letters, with every 4th or 5th word an expletive, and you'll get an idea of where Microsoft has taken me in the last month. It's disgusting.
    Wednesday, January 9, 2008 12:06 AM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

I'm sorry for the hassle that you're running into.  The J# redistributable is designed to be side-by-side between the 1.1 and 2.0 releases.  Can you please gather and send me some additional information from your system so that I can try to narrow down further what is going on here?

1.  Any VS 2005 setup log files you have on your system.  You can find a complete list at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/447012.aspx

2.  A list of installed programs on your system using the instructions described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

Also, as a workaround, it might help to try to directly install the J# redistributable 2.0 from the path <VS Install Path>\WCU\JSharpRedistCore\vjredist.exe.  However, even if this works, I would still like to see your logs because VS 2005 setup should chain in the J# 2.0 redistributable if you choose to install features in the VS feature tree that need J# (specifically the J# language tools and web development language tools).

Thanks!  Aaron

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:55 PM
  • With apologies to John Dean, there is indeed a cancer upon my Registry.

Having got back to an apparently functional copy of VS2005 (et al.), I re-tried the task which started the melee on December 10th, converting a .NET 1.1/VS2005 web app to 2.0.  It came out a mess of errors, possibly spurious, and much different from what I'd got when I first tried it (before the VS2008 install went bad).

Subsequently, I tried the conversion on another machine with fresh copies of VS2003/2005/2008 installed. It worked flawlessly, in a minute. The application ran as-converted, with ZERO code changes on my part.

My takeaway lesson is that if things have got so bad that you're posting to MSDN Forums on this subject, unless you have a simple and repeatable error and find a really well-matched Q/A/Fix that solves the problem you should seriously consider cutting your losses and starting over with a complete reinstallation of your operating system.

Or maybe a different operating system. I hear Leopard is good.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• FWIW, the most recent VS2005 install error is a bit of a mystery:

[01/08/08,15:59:16] Setup.exe: GetGlobalCustomProperty({E0875D42-A33D-4C64-81C9-167795F29CA4})
    [01/08/08,15:59:16] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
    [01/08/08,16:10:46] Setup.exe: AddGlobalCustomProperty
    [01/08/08,16:10:46] MSITOSIT: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : CRootComponent:Tongue TiedetManager() - The Windows Installer package:
    d:\english\vs2005pro\disk1\vs_setup.msi
    could not be opened.

Looking at the contents of the MSDN DVD, the file is sitting there... and I can copy it off the disk to C:\temp, with no complaint from Explorer over its 102,340KB. It seems likely that it's intact, and this "could not be opened" is a symptom of something else. Perhaps it was a transient issue on my system, I don't know. (This "if it's not one thing, it's another" is getting to me, though.)

I did get another machine from work, a laptop that has an intact VS2005 installation, so I can at least stop banging my head against the wall. All the same, it would be good to see some indication that Microsoft is doing something about the continuing profound defects in the un/install systems for Visual Studio and related products.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 7:54 PM
  • Hi

Just from the error:

"d:\english\vs2005pro\disk1\vs_setup.msi  could not be opened."

It seems that the file may be corrupted and unable to be executed.

Please try to copy from the media again (also ensure that the installation media is healthy) and run the file "setup.exe" in the disk1 folder to see what happens.

Thanks

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:33 AM
  •  Figo Fei - MSFT wrote:

It seems that the file may be corrupted and unable to be executed.

Please try to copy from the media again (also ensure that the installation media is healthy) and run the file "setup.exe" in the disk1 folder to see what happens.

Not sure how I "ensure health," but I did copy the DISK1 and DISK2 trees onto a HD (and then merge them, as I found out in-process is necessary) and was able to proceed end-to-end with an apparently successful installation.  The only errors logged were the "can't find/read" problems that I fixed by moving the "missing" files into place, then successfully proceeded with RETRY.

The other glitch is that, as happened after the most recent unistall/scraping, the installer said that Document Explorer was detected as already installed, when I don't believe that it is.

I did the "Custom" install, but with everything it selected by default, which is all but "X64 Compilers and Tools" (this is an x86 machine) under Visual C++ and "Quickstart Samples" under .NET Framework SDK.  It included Visual C++, C#, J# and Basic. The whole shebang.

Upon starting up VS2005 for the "first" time, and having it configure for C#, it seemed to be all peaches and cream, until the same blasted error message that started the round of uninstallation and reinstallation:

This operation cannot be completed because a compatible version of Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package is not installed. Please install Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package v2.0.50727 and retry this operation.

"This operation" is simply starting up VS2005.

I do have (and need) VS2003/.NET 1.1 on this machine, with the older J# version. Looking through dd_vsinstall80.txt, I see that

[01/10/08,15:36:10] Setup.exe: Microsoft Visual J# 2.0 Redistributable Package will not be installed.

but with no other explanation of why not. Looking back (and with the help of Google), I see that this is precisely where I was a week ago, in the Still trying thread.

Is there some problem with having 1.1 J# and 2.0 J# coexist? The rest of the VS2005 installation seems to be OK (but what do I know, really?), but this one component, which is inexplicably essential, was quietly skipped.

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:16 AM
  • Hi Tom,

I'm sorry for the hassle that you're running into.  The J# redistributable is designed to be side-by-side between the 1.1 and 2.0 releases.  Can you please gather and send me some additional information from your system so that I can try to narrow down further what is going on here?

1.  Any VS 2005 setup log files you have on your system.  You can find a complete list at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/447012.aspx

2.  A list of installed programs on your system using the instructions described at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx

Also, as a workaround, it might help to try to directly install the J# redistributable 2.0 from the path <VS Install Path>\WCU\JSharpRedistCore\vjredist.exe.  However, even if this works, I would still like to see your logs because VS 2005 setup should chain in the J# 2.0 redistributable if you choose to install features in the VS feature tree that need J# (specifically the J# language tools and web development language tools).

Thanks!  Aaron

Friday, January 11, 2008 6:55 PM
  • Hi Tom,

I should have mentioned in my previous post - you can zip and send me the requested info at Aaron.Stebner (at) microsoft (dot) com.

Thanks!  Aaron

Friday, January 11, 2008 8:04 PM
  •  

Your frustration is entirely understandable.  Here is how I managed to make it work:

I have successfully worked around the same problem by the simple expedient of copying the entire DVD content to a working folder on my desktop and executing the setup program from within that folder.  All problems evaporated at that point.

I concluded that the problem was with some piece of installation logic that worked when the product was packaged as multiple CD's, but fails when multiple product CD's are combined onto a single DVD image.

- Michael

Friday, January 11, 2008 10:12 PM
  • I concluded that the problem was with some piece of installation logic that worked when the product was packaged as multiple CD's, but fails when multiple product CD's are combined onto a single DVD image.

Yes, that's part of what I was running into. Possibly also a dropped bit in reading the DVD? Simply copying the contents to my HD did not work either, however. The DISK1\ and DISK2\ subfolder trees needed to be merged into a single tree before the installation would work. I was able to figure out what was going wrong and do that merger on the fly during the install, and get it back on track with [Retry] to the error dialog.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:12 AM
  •  Aaron Stebner wrote:

Also, as a workaround, it might help to try to directly install the J# redistributable 2.0 from the path <VS Install Path>\WCU\JSharpRedistCore\vjredist.exe....

It did work to install the J# redistributable separately. Aaron was able to see that the VS Installer was detecting a later version installed, most likely from a remnant  from a previous aborted installation, with the original VS2008 installer crash that started this melee the Most Probable Cause.

I seem to be back close to where I was on Dec. 10th, with a functional VS2005 installation, a lot of hard-earned experience about all this stuff, and some various cancer cells sprinkled through my registry.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:18 AM
  • With apologies to John Dean, there is indeed a cancer upon my Registry.

Having got back to an apparently functional copy of VS2005 (et al.), I re-tried the task which started the melee on December 10th, converting a .NET 1.1/VS2005 web app to 2.0.  It came out a mess of errors, possibly spurious, and much different from what I'd got when I first tried it (before the VS2008 install went bad).

Subsequently, I tried the conversion on another machine with fresh copies of VS2003/2005/2008 installed. It worked flawlessly, in a minute. The application ran as-converted, with ZERO code changes on my part.

My takeaway lesson is that if things have got so bad that you're posting to MSDN Forums on this subject, unless you have a simple and repeatable error and find a really well-matched Q/A/Fix that solves the problem you should seriously consider cutting your losses and starting over with a complete reinstallation of your operating system.

Or maybe a different operating system. I hear Leopard is good.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:33 PM