none
Access 2016 Combobox Does not AutoComplete RRS feed

• Question

• I've discovered an issue with comboboxes in Access 2016.
    When a form's KeyPreview is set to Yes and KeyDown event to '[Event Procedure]' the combobox will not select an item in the dropdown unless the dropdown is open. Below is a link to a file to demonstrate the issue.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnirIikvk_C0hl0mr38N9hOMQCfT

I've been using a form's KeyDown event since Access 1.0 and never had an issue until now.
    Can anyone explain it?

I've also found that the issue does not occur with the KeyUp event.
    Is there any downside to using the KeyUp event vs. KeyDown for a form? E.G. another event that fires between them.

• Edited by Alphonse G Monday, February 5, 2018 11:20 AM fixed incorrect link
    Friday, February 2, 2018 5:19 PM

All replies

• What is the event procedure?

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, February 2, 2018 6:07 PM
  • It is the form's KeyDown event. No code, just the constructor. Remove the constructor and the combo works as it should.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Interesting.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, February 2, 2018 7:15 PM
  • Yes, I thought so. I'm upgrading a large project to 2016 and it took me hours to track down this combination.
    Friday, February 2, 2018 7:19 PM
  • Hello Alphonese,

>>the combobox will not select an item in the dropdown unless the dropdown is open

Could you please detail me your repro steps? What is  the "dropdown is open"? What do you mean "combobox will not select an item"? 

I tried to download your shared file, but it only contains few reports and their source query is not in the file.

I failed to use it to reproduce your issue. Did I misunderstand anything?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 5, 2018 5:30 AM
  • Thanks Terry,

Sorry, that was the wrong link. I have corrected it.

Just open Form1 and start typing in the combo box.

The thing is though, suddenly it is working correctly. It must be something on my machine, but I have no idea what. I had repaired Office, rebooted multiple times and it made no difference. Now suddenly, it is working correctly. Not sure where to go from here.

Update - the difference is the VBE window. Open Form1, press Alt+F11 to open the VBE window, then try typing in the combo box. it does not autocomplete.
    • Edited by Alphonse G Monday, February 5, 2018 2:09 PM new info
    Monday, February 5, 2018 11:43 AM
  • Hello Apphonse G,

I still failed to reproduce your issue event I opened VBE window. I would suggest you go to File-Feedback to submit a feedback for your situation. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Very weird. Thanks for trying. Anyone else able to duplicate?
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 11:31 AM
  • Hello Alhonese G,

What's the version build number of your Office? Have you tried to update to latest version or repair your office?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:15 AM
  • Access shows 2016 MSO (16.0.9001.2080) 32-bit.

Yes, I have repaired Office, at least twice.

Yes, I have checked for updates.

Friday, February 9, 2018 11:19 AM
  • Hello Alphonse,

As far as I know, the latest version for Office 2016 is 9001.2144 now and I did not find 9001.2080 in update history. I would suggest you check your version in here and if it not the latest, please try to update to latest version for testing.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

Monday, February 12, 2018 10:10 AM
  • Yes, from 'Account' it shows 9001.2144
    When I click on 'About Access', it shows 9001.2080

I tried to post the image, but it did not upload.

• Edited by Alphonse G Monday, February 12, 2018 11:27 AM image did not upload
    Monday, February 12, 2018 11:25 AM