none
Granting Write Access for ASPNET Account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I need to grant write access and such, however, I cant get the "security" tab to appear in the properties window of my database folder..

Even after unchecking "Use simple file sharing(Recomanded)" it doesnt appear.

Anyone can help please?

Thursday, August 9, 2007 6:02 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I am not sure of a solution for your question, but I have some suggestion for you.

It may not secure to allow ASPNET account write access to any resource. If you need to write any resource you can use impersonation.

Also which is the database that you are referring to. I am not sure if this is the way you can give write access to a database if it is SQL.

I may be wrong, but these are just some thoughts that came over.

Regards

Vineed

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:27 PM
  • No you not wrong because in XP the Asp.net account needs to be added to SQL Server and added to the database, while Win2003 and Vista the network service account.  In Asp.net 2.0 Microsoft provided an application management database called th ASPNETDB it lets you create users, roles, profiles and more with few lines of code.  I have covered the file security in the thread below and if you want to use Asp.net Membership post again and I will show you how to get started.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1963953&SiteID=1

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am not sure of a solution for your question, but I have some suggestion for you.

It may not secure to allow ASPNET account write access to any resource. If you need to write any resource you can use impersonation.

Also which is the database that you are referring to. I am not sure if this is the way you can give write access to a database if it is SQL.

I may be wrong, but these are just some thoughts that came over.

Regards

Vineed

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:27 PM
  • No you not wrong because in XP the Asp.net account needs to be added to SQL Server and added to the database, while Win2003 and Vista the network service account.  In Asp.net 2.0 Microsoft provided an application management database called th ASPNETDB it lets you create users, roles, profiles and more with few lines of code.  I have covered the file security in the thread below and if you want to use Asp.net Membership post again and I will show you how to get started.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1963953&SiteID=1

Friday, August 10, 2007 1:49 PM