How to rollback to Windows 8 dev edition to Windows 7

Question

• Hi all,

I got some time from my school and thought to check windows 8, i was using windows 7 pro before and been working on my research from 2 years with windows xp mode and all those settings. I accept its my mistake not to read the full statement before installing. Before i used to have only one partition, i shrink the drive and made a new partition for windows 8 , my bad it dint asked me anything and all long i was waiting for the software to select the partition and before knowing anything windows 8 was installed and all my installed software and win xp mode are de activated and not working.

Good that i selected the option to keep all files and user settings, now that i do see windows.old folder with 55gigs size. I was following diff forums lately kicked to here. Followed Microsoft knowledge how to recover os from boot and selecting repair option and then command prompt. trying some move command to move the files from windows.old to windows and getting several Access denied problems... i found not use C drive at command prompt and now able to see all files using E drive. But every time no matter what i did it gives me access denied errors. now tht i am trying to recover from win 8 dvd from boot menu, i am trying to copy files from windows.old to C drive but i am getting access denied messages..tried to take ownership from win 8 but given error messages for most of the sub folders.tried with whole drive still the same and i am not able to copy files from windows.old to the drive from boot menu restoring os command prompt pls help me.

It wont allow me to copy windows.old folder to external hard drive.

Please Help me in Clear how to restore my old windows 7, i regret of not using backup and experimenting but at the cost of 2 years of research work.

Highly appreciate your help and advise on restoring Windows 7.

Pavan.

• Edited by pavan-kumar Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:40 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hey Pavan-Kumar,

If you don't have a backup of your previous Windows 7 installation that you can return to you will need to reinstall Windows 7. If you perform a custom installation of Windows 7 on the partition that currently contains Windows Developer Preview and your Windows.old folder, you may be able to retrieve your personal files by following the steps provided in the link below under the "If your previous operating system was Windows Vista" section (The Windows Vista process will be very similar to the Windows.old folder created by an old Windows 7 installation):
    How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7

Note: you may also want to backup the Windows.old folder from your current Windows Developer Preview installation so that you have a backup in case something were to happen to your current Windows.old folder when you reinstall Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

Steven

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:31 AM

All replies

• Firstly, the reason it didn't ask you to select the partition was because you selected upgrade instead of custom.

By coping the old files will not bring back windows 7 to get Windows 7 back you will need your windows 7 disc and reinstall ( I presume clicking advanced and formatting the hard drive so you can reinstall 7)

Saturday, September 17, 2011 1:52 AM
  • i selected custom only..but i don't know what went wrong. I least worry about re install the worst case scenario, even i rollback to manufacturer settings that not a big deal. I want to get back how ever it is before windows 8  i have so many software and interdependencies and i freak thinking those.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Hey Pavan-Kumar,

If you don't have a backup of your previous Windows 7 installation that you can return to you will need to reinstall Windows 7. If you perform a custom installation of Windows 7 on the partition that currently contains Windows Developer Preview and your Windows.old folder, you may be able to retrieve your personal files by following the steps provided in the link below under the "If your previous operating system was Windows Vista" section (The Windows Vista process will be very similar to the Windows.old folder created by an old Windows 7 installation):
    How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7

Note: you may also want to backup the Windows.old folder from your current Windows Developer Preview installation so that you have a backup in case something were to happen to your current Windows.old folder when you reinstall Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

Steven

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:31 AM