publishing with expresson RRS feed

• Question

• Just received my Microsoft Expression Studio 4 Professional software.

I'm able to open my Frontpage 2002 files.  I can even make changes to the pages.
    I just do not know how to publish them.  I've open the web site I want them to go to.
    I then save the file. However when I go to the web site the page is not changed.
    I even copy the updated page and then pasted in the the open site folder.
    Even then when I go to the web site the page is not the latest version.

Could some one please give me a step by step instructions to publish from Expression.
    I had no problems with FrontPage 2002.

Your help will be appreciated.

Paka Cook

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:05 AM

Answers

• Explain step by step what you are doing starting with how you are opening your FrontPage website.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    • Marked as answer by Paka Cook Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:45 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:20 AM
  • "I can even make changes to the pages.
    I've open the web site I want them to go to.
    I then save the file. "

??  Sorry, but I can't tell from that what you are doing.  If you are editing your pages locally, you save them locally.  You then go to the Publish tab and connect to your publishing destination, which would be your live site.  You then select the files you want to publish and click the arrow that points to the live web site.  They'll be copied over to your live site.

There are lots of different publishing options, but frankly, the first step is to read EW's User Guide (it's in the Help menu).  In the Contents tab, open Working with Sites, then Publishing Sites.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:21 AM
  • I goto the "Site" tab acroos the top.
    I select "Open Site".
    I select one of the five sites that I have set up.
    For example:

Name: ~seniorgroup
    Path: http://home.comcast.net/~seniorgroup
    Type: HTTP

I then got to the "File" tab and select "Open" and find the folder for that web site.  The senior Group.
    I locate the page that needs top be revised and make the changes and save the file.

However, I just have not figured out how to get it published.
    It just seemedso easy with FrontPage 2002, all I had to do was goto the "File" menu and select "Publish"

Your help in getting my changes published in Expression, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paka Cook

• Marked as answer by Paka Cook Tuesday, December 21, 2010 11:44 PM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Opening the site like that means you are editing the site live.  That's a very bad idea.

Are you intending to edit live?  Or are you intending to edit a local copy, then publish?  That's the best way to do it, so that half-done changes or errors are not seen by your visitor, since you do them locally, test them locally in browsers, then publish them.

(And, again, have you read the Help sections on working with your site, and publishing?  If you don't know how a program works, that's the first place to start.)

• Marked as answer by Paka Cook Friday, December 17, 2010 4:51 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Thanks,  with the help of you all I am now able to publish.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I found the pages explaining the procedure and am able to publish.

Thanks, for your help.

• Marked as answer by Paka Cook Friday, December 17, 2010 4:54 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:53 PM

All replies

• "I can even make changes to the pages.
    I've open the web site I want them to go to.
    I then save the file. "

??  Sorry, but I can't tell from that what you are doing.  If you are editing your pages locally, you save them locally.  You then go to the Publish tab and connect to your publishing destination, which would be your live site.  You then select the files you want to publish and click the arrow that points to the live web site.  They'll be copied over to your live site.

There are lots of different publishing options, but frankly, the first step is to read EW's User Guide (it's in the Help menu).  In the Contents tab, open Working with Sites, then Publishing Sites.

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 12:21 AM
  • Explain step by step what you are doing starting with how you are opening your FrontPage website.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:20 AM
  • I goto the "Site" tab acroos the top.
    I select "Open Site".
    I select one of the five sites that I have set up.
    For example:

Name: ~seniorgroup
    Path: http://home.comcast.net/~seniorgroup
    Type: HTTP

I then got to the "File" tab and select "Open" and find the folder for that web site.  The senior Group.
    I locate the page that needs top be revised and make the changes and save the file.

However, I just have not figured out how to get it published.
    It just seemedso easy with FrontPage 2002, all I had to do was goto the "File" menu and select "Publish"

Your help in getting my changes published in Expression, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Paka Cook

Wednesday, December 15, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Opening the site like that means you are editing the site live.  That's a very bad idea.

Are you intending to edit live?  Or are you intending to edit a local copy, then publish?  That's the best way to do it, so that half-done changes or errors are not seen by your visitor, since you do them locally, test them locally in browsers, then publish them.

(And, again, have you read the Help sections on working with your site, and publishing?  If you don't know how a program works, that's the first place to start.)

• Marked as answer by Paka Cook Friday, December 17, 2010 4:51 PM
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:58 AM
  • Thanks,  with the help of you all I am now able to publish.
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:51 PM
  • I found the pages explaining the procedure and am able to publish.

Thanks, for your help.

• Marked as answer by Paka Cook Friday, December 17, 2010 4:54 PM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 4:53 PM