none
[MS-RDPEGFX].pdf: RDPGFX_QOE_FRAME_ACKNOWLEDGE_PDU RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The [MS-RDPEGFX].pdf documentation deals with the 'Quality of Experience'.
    This measure is provided by the client with the RDPGFX_QOE_FRAME_ACKNOWLEDGE_PDU command.
    It sounds really interesting.

What is the utility or the tool on the server side to take benefit of this capability and to get the client QOE information?

Regards

Vincent
    Monday, May 22, 2017 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Vincent,

Within Windows, I didn’t find any components that consume this information.  I found some reference to an internal test harness that may consume this data by collecting details of the whole end-to-end performance of the pipeline.  But it wasn’t clear if these specific counters were actually used or just available for use.  I held out the possibility that non-Windows components that leverages RDP, like Lync/Skype, might find these counters of interest, buy my colleagues that would know didn’t find any references.  Sending the PDU is completely optional, as we both have stated.  Its receipt by the server does not yield any additional processing except making them available for diagnostics.  Specifically, its inclusion does not change the behavior of the server-side GFX pipeline (i.e., the pipeline code itself does not consume this data and make adjustments based on it).

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Vincent,

Thank you for the question.  I'll research this for you.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, May 22, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

As for the RDP server-side, it does nothing but collect this information and makes it available to upper-layer applications via performance counters.  For instance, there is no logic within the RDP server to change anything.  It appears that some applications, like Lync, etc., might read these QoE performance counters for its own consumption.  The Microsoft client seems to always send these PDUs; there doesn’t appear to be a process to disable them (.rdp file, commandline, registry, etc.).  But, the PDUs are completely optional.

Monday, May 22, 2017 8:50 PM
  • Hi Bryan

It's good to hear from you.

Yes I understood the PDUs are optional. But I just wanted to know if Microsoft provides an application which takes benefit of these QoE counters (the purpose is monitoring the performance of RDP connections).

Or maybe an API is available for writing our own application.

Regards

Vincent

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Hi Vincent,

Within Windows, I didn’t find any components that consume this information.  I found some reference to an internal test harness that may consume this data by collecting details of the whole end-to-end performance of the pipeline.  But it wasn’t clear if these specific counters were actually used or just available for use.  I held out the possibility that non-Windows components that leverages RDP, like Lync/Skype, might find these counters of interest, buy my colleagues that would know didn’t find any references.  Sending the PDU is completely optional, as we both have stated.  Its receipt by the server does not yield any additional processing except making them available for diagnostics.  Specifically, its inclusion does not change the behavior of the server-side GFX pipeline (i.e., the pipeline code itself does not consume this data and make adjustments based on it).

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 4:20 PM