Reading electronic identity cards in a windows store app project

Question

• In a windows store app project, i've been ask to implement a way to read the information on a Electronic Identity card such as this

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/p/3/005/086/37d/1c638d1.jpg

is there any API i can use on a windows Store App project to achieve this? can't seem to find anything of sorts

Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:40 PM

Answers

• It depends on how the specific card provides the information. There are API for magstripe reading and for NFC which may apply. If not, you may need an external reader.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:29 PM
    Owner
  • If it provides an API, then an LOB app can be written to accept the data from that reader using a brokered component.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Friday, February 6, 2015 3:52 PM

All replies

• You would have to be able to tap into a reader with a driver which returns the information back to the app.  Do you have this?

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:16 PM
  • It depends on how the specific card provides the information. There are API for magstripe reading and for NFC which may apply. If not, you may need an external reader.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 8:29 PM
    Owner
  • i'll have something like this http://www.h-mc.be/a6eu-content/uploads/2012/09/eID-reader.png
    dont have one with me at the moment.

• Edited by Thought2 Friday, February 6, 2015 12:19 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 12:19 AM
  • If it provides an API, then an LOB app can be written to accept the data from that reader using a brokered component.

Friday, February 6, 2015 3:52 PM