none
Do WHCK supports windows OS multi boot? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a client whcih has multi boot config of Windows OS (Win8 and Win7). While switching from one OS to other OS, My client machine went to Debug state. I need to delete the machine from machine pool and I have to make it detect in default pool again. 

Pls help me to solve this issue. I have doubt as whether WHCK will support multi boot or not?

Thanks,

Devanath. 

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:58 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Guys(Nilesh,Priya,Bcras..) your individual views works fine but I have a reference of "WHCK doesn't support of Multi-Boot OS"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998592.aspx#BKMK_UnsupportedClient

See the unsupported scenarios:

Multiple operating systems. Installing multiple operating systems on a computer with the Client installed is not supported. If you have more than one operating system installed on a computer with multiple instances of Client installed, you might cause errors than can't be fixed without reinstalling the operating system. 

Only one instance of Client should be installed on the system under test. In this scenario, the system includes all related physical discs and partitions.

Yesubabu Gude

• Proposed as answer by Yesubabu Gude Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by DEVANATH Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Just like you, I have configured a dual boot (Win7-Win8) on my machine. I run WHCK tests on Win8, and all tests pass as expected. You can not switch to other OS while tests are goin on, on another one ;)

Regards,

Nilesh

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Hi,

I'm also facing same issue as reported by deva.

In DTM 1.6, while installing dtmclient we have an option for test system having multi-boot OS.

Uncheck "Use Default Drive" while installing the DTM cleint for test system having multiple versions of windows OS.

This option is not available while installing HCKclient and for test machine with multiple versions of windows OS are not getting detected by Studio.

Need to un-install and re-install client so that is works properly.

Thanks,

Apeksha

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 8:58 AM
  • complete one project, create the package and then only switch the OS.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:33 AM
  • I think multi-boot OS is support but its not recomended why because in HCK Environment the client have to restart more than once.So at that time OS may change.If OS is change here there is no HCK Client of prevous HCK Client.

Still if you want use multi-boot OS then do the following...

If you want use multi boot OS environment in HCK then you have to instal HCK Client in both Win8 and Win7 OS.That means the Client machines in both OS are different.Whenever login any OS corespoinding client machine will enabled in HCK Controller of the machine pool .And make sure that you have to complete project in that OS only( ie If you create one project in Win7 OS as client then complete that project on Win7 only and then move to Win8 OS for next project).

Yesubabu Gude

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Hi Priya,

Is there any reference where it says "WHCK does not support multi-boot".

I search setup doceuments but nowhere such information is given.

thanks,

Apeksha

Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:43 AM
  • Thanks all for your information. It was very helpfull on analyzing issue here.
    Friday, March 22, 2013 4:44 AM
  • As Yesu Babu conveyed, One System can have multiple OSes and can be booted to multiple OS.

But in WHQL, when test run are with OS1 we cannot boot up to other OS2 on same system. All the logs with OS1 run will be lost.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi Apeksha, Priya, Devanath, Yesubabu

There is no such information in WHCK Docs which states, WHCK supports or does not support multi-boot configuration on machine.

I would say, WHCK supports all the active OS's it can communicate with.

I guess, You can have multi-boot config on your machine. If you have pre-configured all of the OS's for the WHCK tests (like WHCKClient installed, tests environment setup, etc), then you can switch OS's, provided do not switch to other OS when tests on one OS are in running state.

For example, Consider you have total 20 tests on OS1 and 20 tests on OS2, what you can do is, run some tests, say 10 tests on OS1, let them complete and do not switch to OS2 when tests on OS1 are running, then switch to OS2, run some tests here, say 15 tests, let them complete, switch back to OS1 carry out remaining tests, create package for OS1, then switch to OS2 and carry out remaining tests, and create package for OS2. Later, merge this packages into one which will give you results from both the OS's

I have not tried this but I have a strong feeling that this should work. Why not give a try? Its worth trying. :)

Thanks,

Nilesh

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Multi-boot OS works quite well for us.  Of course as others have said, one boot per WHCK project/test set is necessary.  But we have XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 on all our clients.  One tip we discovered is that we eliminated the kinds of problems the original post described (machines going to Debug) by configuring the same static IP addresses on each OS, per machine.  That seems to allow the Controller to keep better track, vs having different IP addresses to resolve for the same MAC.

Hope that helps!

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Thank U all for your valuable information.

But here my problem is, I have a WHCK client which has configured as dual boot with Win7 and Win8 64bit OSes. When I switch the OS from one OS to other OS (for example, Completed the execution on Win7 OS and switching to Win8 OS for new execution), at this time I am facing issue like my WHCK client machine went to debug state in WHCK controller. It is not still persisting as Ready state. (Note: On both the OS I have pre-installed WHCK client) Now I have to delete the client from Machine pool, so it will detect in default pool after few seconds. Then again I have to drag it to particluar mahine pool. 

But WHQL supports this feature, Client machine is still persisting it's ready state even if I switch the OS one to other. I haven't observed this kind of issues with WHQL. And as nilesh mentioned, WHCK docs doesn't says about multi boot supports. That is the reason, I have posted this blog.

Please help me to solve this issue.

Friday, April 5, 2013 1:09 PM
  • Hi Devanath,

Are you using same IP configuration on both OS's on your system?

Thanks,

Nilesh.

Monday, April 8, 2013 5:52 AM
  • Hi Nilesh,

IP configuration for client mahine is being assigned by DHCP server. Hence both the OS has same IP configuartion.

Thanks,

Devanath.

Monday, April 8, 2013 11:01 AM
  • Hi all,

Guys(Nilesh,Priya,Bcras..) your individual views works fine but I have a reference of "WHCK doesn't support of Multi-Boot OS"

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998592.aspx#BKMK_UnsupportedClient

See the unsupported scenarios:

Multiple operating systems. Installing multiple operating systems on a computer with the Client installed is not supported. If you have more than one operating system installed on a computer with multiple instances of Client installed, you might cause errors than can't be fixed without reinstalling the operating system. 

Only one instance of Client should be installed on the system under test. In this scenario, the system includes all related physical discs and partitions.

Yesubabu Gude

• Proposed as answer by Yesubabu Gude Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by DEVANATH Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 8:20 AM