SharePoint Designer to create a timed workflow to email alert based on Due Date if Status <> Completed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

First off, I'm no developer, and haven't messed with workflows much. I'm going to try and organize this as best I can. Your patience is appreciated :)

I have a Task List, which will be used by a number of users to assign tasks to a couple dozen people.

For Tasks which are Status <> Completed, I need the Assigned To user(s) associated with that task to receive an alert email two days before the Due Date of their project. I need it to loop through to all of the Tasks and perform the same check and Assigned To email alert as needed -- there may be multiple tasks with different users with the same Due Date. I also want it to be triggered at, say, 12:01am nightly. 

It would be something like:

For each Item in a Task List:
    1. Check to see if Status <> Completed
      1. if Status = Completed, do nothing
      2. If Status is <> Completed, Then
        1. Check If Status Today equals ("Due Date" -2 days).
          1. If not, do nothing
          2. if so,
            1. Email "Assigned To" users

Can someone point out anything I'm forgetting, and help me build this?

Thanks,

Scott

Friday, October 2, 2015 8:29 PM

Answers

All replies

• Scott,

You are thinking about a solution that would be used in a code based project. For example, in Visual Studio you could create a console application that is run as a schedule job each night. It would iterate though all of the tasks and send emails as needed per your outline.

Workflows work on only the current item. Each item can have up to 15 workflows. This reminder workflow would be triggered on the creation of the item and on any edit. It would start, check the status, if complete then the workflow would exit. If not complete it would wait, or "go to sleep", until two days before the due date. It would then wake up, check the status and if not completed, send the email. 

So each task would have it's own workflow that would be auto-started, and then sleep until needed. "Sleeping" workflows are only records in a SQL table and add little if any overhead. You only create one workflow and then associate it with the list.

Mike Smith TechTrainingNotes.blogspot.com
    Books: SharePoint 2007 2010 Customization for the Site Owner, SharePoint 2010 Security for the Site Owner

Saturday, October 3, 2015 12:18 AM
  • Hi,

If Mike's reply is helpful to you, you could mark the reply as answer to close the answer. If you have any question about this issue, please feel free to reply.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 5, 2015 1:14 AM
  • Thanks Mike, that's very helpful.

For now I'll use the workflow. I need something functional now that can be improved down the road if need be. I'm not sure if my structure needs to change, or how I'd actually set this up in SPD. Help much appreciated.

Also, I've never built a console app, could I bother someone for a link to one that performs the tasks I'm looking for? I can't be the first person to need this ;) That said, I'm not planning on implementing it myself, it would be more for edification and in case I need to track down a developer to help build it.

Monday, October 5, 2015 2:32 PM
  • Hi Scott,

As I understand, you want to send email alert before due date in the task list in SharePoint 2010.

You could create some columns to help you to recode the reminder date. For more detailed information, you could refer to the articles below.

The article below is about how to create a Task with a Reminder in SharePoint 2010.

http://www.aspe-it.com/blog/2013/how-to-create-a-task-with-a-reminder-in-sharepoint-2010/

The article below is about triggering a workflow when expiry date is approaching.

http://thingsivefoundout.blogspot.com/2012/07/triggering-workflow-when-expiry-date-is.html

There is a similar case:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/1e2912f4-3119-49b0-b620-e67f629596d0/how-to-send-alert-on-2-days-before-of-task-due-date?forum=sharepointcustomizationlegacy

You also could enable retention and create a retention stage in the information management policy settings in the task list settings. For more detailed information, you could refer to the article below.

The article below is about how to create a timed Workflow in SharePoint 2010.

http://blogs.askcts.com/2013/05/14/creating-a-timed-workflow-in-sharepoint-2010/ 

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Wednesday, October 21, 2015 8:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, November 2, 2015 6:47 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2015 1:05 AM