Using other SIM cards RRS feed

• Question

• Since AT&T offers no 3G broadband data service outside the U.S., can I use a SIM card purchased overseas from a different provider?
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:56 AM

Answers

• Yes you can. I've tried two providers and all you need to do is to enter the apn of your provider when prompted.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:26 AM
  • I got mine working with an Australian sim card.  Its prepaid and 3g works fine.

• Marked as answer by Vadim Klishko Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:14 AM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:07 AM
  • O2 Germany - no problem.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:32 AM
  • I was successful with Telus in Canada.

Blair.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:48 AM

All replies

• Yes you can. I've tried two providers and all you need to do is to enter the apn of your provider when prompted.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:26 AM
  • I got mine working with an Australian sim card.  Its prepaid and 3g works fine.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 9:07 AM
  • O2 Germany - no problem.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:32 AM
  • I was successful with Telus in Canada.

Blair.
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:48 AM
  • Which one did you get it working with?

I'm trying Amaysim (Optus) and it does not work. Not sure how to do it?

What steps did you take?

Friday, October 14, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Just put it in (in the right direction - its a bit difficult). If the card is showing up in the network hub your need to set up the APN accordingly to get internet acces. That APN should be provided by your card company...
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 8:11 AM
  • In My experience not all carriers work. I have been told by an AT&T representative present at the BUILD conference that those Samsung tablets ARE LOCKED to AT&T for 3G, and so will not work for other carriers with the exception of those who "are compatable" with AT&T. The same person said that for my case (I live in Argentina) any 3G service from Telefonica should work.

At home, I tryied with three different SIM cards from different carriers, and the only that worked was (surprise, surprise) one from Movistar (a Telefonica carrier) and the others (Personal from Telecom) and Claro didn't worked.

So, I don't know the other cases, but maybe the ones that do worked are carriers from Telefonica (the Spain telephony company) and not from Telecom (France) or Claro (Latam)?

Best regards,

Agv

MAP / MCSE / MCSD / MCT - VMBC's CTO
    Monday, November 21, 2011 2:50 PM
  • I think more or less all SIM cards with a data access plan are working. Of cause it must be a GSM network...

My card is working perfectly and its O2 - not related to Telefonica. I tried with Vodafone too - no problem (Gemany).

Maybe some networks are using different frequencies. Which kind of antenna is inside - nobody knows. That might be the problem you encountered. Different provider are using different frequency bands. Check what At&T is using in the US and you can check in your country which is working in the same range. I think in most cases it should work.

Important is always that you configure the APN correctly - otherwise you will not get data transmitted.

Monday, November 21, 2011 2:59 PM
  • All carriers here use the same US AT&T 3G frequencies: 850 & 1900, so don't think there is a problem with that.

What happened to me was that when I inserted a SIM in the tablet from other carriers (not Telefonica's) the tablet not even recognized the Broadband modem (and therefore didn't ask me about the APN configuration). OF course I rebooted the tablet after the SIM change, also tryied other things (like reinstalling the 3G model drivers, etc) with no luck.

If the tablet is indeed Network Unlocked, that's not my experience, or I might be doing something wrong.

When I put the Telefonica's SIM in the tablet and rebooted, it recognized the Broadband modem and asked me for the proper APN configuration and everything worked as a charm.

Anyone knows for a fact that this Samsung tablets are Network Unlocked? How can we know? Is there a setting we can see somewere? (in a phone I know I can press some *xxx# combination to get this, but on the tablet?)

As I said previously, people from AT&T told me the tablets were locked to AT&T (and compatible carriers that have an agreement with AT&T).

Thanks for your time,

Agv

MAP / MCSE / MCSD / MCT - VMBC's CTO
    Monday, November 21, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi calingasan, could you let me know please which carrier you got your 3g working with and also approximately where in australia you are when it works? I'm in Australia and trying to determine if mine will work. Thanks for your time!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:20 PM