none
Dreamspark (Microsoft Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English) - DreamSpark - Download) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey, I have checked out with this exact OS. (I have saved the serial key)

My question is: If I was to do a clean install, as in my HDD was completely blank, (since I am building a new comp) will I be able to burn the iso from this download onto a CD so I can format it on my new computer? (basically asking if the OS is not an upgrade, that means i dont have to any previous versions installed on my new hdd) and just boot the format (fresh) from my optical drive

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 10:30 PM

Answers

• Yes, you should be able to do exactly what you're asking Mohammed because the versions in DreamSpark are not upgrade versions, but the full installations.  The only thing I'd worry about for you is the size.  Windows 7 Professional with SP1 is multiple gigabytes, so you'd need to burn it to a DVD.

If you dont have a DVD writer, you can also use the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a bootable USB drive from the ISO you download, and this should work fine for you.  Rather than booting off of a DVD, you'd set your BIOS to boot off of USB, and then the installation will start to load.  The tool to turn one of your USB drives into a Windows 7 Bootable install is here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool. This may be an option for you if you don't have a DVD writer and have a spare USB key with enough space on it.  

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:51 PM

All replies

• bump...
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 2:11 AM
  • Yes, you should be able to do exactly what you're asking Mohammed because the versions in DreamSpark are not upgrade versions, but the full installations.  The only thing I'd worry about for you is the size.  Windows 7 Professional with SP1 is multiple gigabytes, so you'd need to burn it to a DVD.

If you dont have a DVD writer, you can also use the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a bootable USB drive from the ISO you download, and this should work fine for you.  Rather than booting off of a DVD, you'd set your BIOS to boot off of USB, and then the installation will start to load.  The tool to turn one of your USB drives into a Windows 7 Bootable install is here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool. This may be an option for you if you don't have a DVD writer and have a spare USB key with enough space on it.  

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:51 PM