none
KitKat emulator takes high load

Question

• VSENT 2015 Update 3

XDE.exe (KitKat) takes up a full CPU core of load without really doing "anything" (idling).
    I guess this is not by design ?

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi EuroEager,

If you have any doubts for the emulator consume the cpu, I suggest you submit your doubts to Visual Studio Connect. I think the product experts will response this issue more applicable.

And you can share your feedback link here, it can let other communities who has the same doubt to vote and add comments for your feedback. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by EuroEager Friday, August 26, 2016 8:27 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 12:49 AM

All replies

• Hi EuroEager

Could you please share your development environment? And please observe the utilization of CPU before start your emulator.

In my side, the environment of computer is below:

Process: 2.60GHz

Installed memory(RAM):16GB

System type: 64-bit

I have created a KitKat emulator with Android AVD manager. And some settings of emulator please refer to the following screenshot.

In addition, you could refer to the screenshot to reset your emulator, and restart your emulator again.

After I start the emulator, which occupies 5 per of CPU and 438.2MB space of Memory. The other applications occupied the percentage of CPU is close to 0.

Please check your free usage of your memory. If your free usage memory is less before you start your emulator, which may be impact the CPU utilization.

Sincerely,

Oscar

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 8:35 AM
  • I am sorry that I didn't mention that the emulator is the VS one running as a Hyper-V guest.
    (and I didn't even think about it at the first post).

This emulator can be started even without Visual Studio running at all (via the emulator manager at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Emulator Manager\1.0\emulatormgr.exe). It then starts the Hyper-V guest and starts a process (on the host machine) called XDE.exe which takes all this load.

Before start, System Idle Process takes approx. 100%, after startup of "Visual Studio Emulator for Android" and the emulator on my 4-core machine, idle task drops to 75% and XDE.exe takes the 25% which is obviously one full core.

• Edited by EuroEager Wednesday, August 10, 2016 7:31 PM
    Wednesday, August 10, 2016 12:36 PM
  • Hi EuroEager,

According to your description, I try launch my Android emulator (KitKat) from the emulator manager and I get the same result with you. When the emulator loading, the CPU is take of about 25% and when it loading finished, the CPU is down to about 14%.

This is because the emulator is a VM which used to emulate an Android Phone. It means when the Android emulator running, there has a VM running on your physical machine. This VM is emulating the Android Phone, which consumes the CPU.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Thanks for confirming my observations.
    However, the cpu load by VM guest is, AFAIK, not really surfaced to the Task Manager on the host due to the characteristics of Type-1 hypervisor ("Bare-Metal") (?).

Anyway, the process XDE.exe is running in the host, not the guest so I do not understand the logic in your explanation, please teach me :)

Thursday, August 11, 2016 6:45 PM
  • Hi EuroEager,

Android Emulator make our physical machine create and execute one or more virtualization environment to emulate the hardware environment for Android software, which is consume our physical machine hardware. Event though there are none Android software running on the emulator, but the Android OS is running when the emulator started.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:28 AM
  • Ok, marked as answer since my question was if this was by design which it obvious is, but it doesn't change my disappointment regarding the fact that this emulation consumes (far too) many cpu cycles and slows down the development machine which could consume the cpu with more relevant load (e.g. for compiling etc.).

I know I shouldn't ask a new question now, but: Do you find it reasonable that the emulation is taking up one full cpu core in the root (parent) partition ?

EDIT: Didn't see that you had already marked your own answer as an answer !
    • Edited by EuroEager Friday, August 19, 2016 11:58 AM
    Friday, August 19, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi EuroEager,

If you have any doubts for the emulator consume the cpu, I suggest you submit your doubts to Visual Studio Connect. I think the product experts will response this issue more applicable.

And you can share your feedback link here, it can let other communities who has the same doubt to vote and add comments for your feedback. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

• Marked as answer by EuroEager Friday, August 26, 2016 8:27 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2016 12:49 AM