none
How to tell where .NET is looking for an assembly? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a utility that will give me information about what .NET is doing when it attempts to load a particular assembly? I'm trying to figure out what is going wrong when .NET tries to handle an Enterprise Library exception and the thing is failing because it claims it cannot find an assembly that is sitting right there in the local executable's folder.
    Richard Lewis Haggard
    • Moved by spacewrangler Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:26 AM (From:Building Development and Diagnostic Tools for .Net)
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 7:48 PM

Answers

• In this case, for whatever reason, Fusion did not record anything meaningful and was a complete waste of time. I eventually tracked down the problem by opening each assembly in IL and looking at the assembly's manifest which told me what version they were looking for. One of the assemblies was looking for a different version than was being supplied in the installation. It just so happened that the developers had an assembly with this revision on their machines so they did not see the problem.

DLL Hell fixed? Suuuuuuure it is. Anyway, I got around my issue and so we can close out the issue.

Richard Lewis Haggard

Sunday, June 5, 2011 5:48 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, June 1, 2011 9:57 PM
  • In this case, for whatever reason, Fusion did not record anything meaningful and was a complete waste of time. I eventually tracked down the problem by opening each assembly in IL and looking at the assembly's manifest which told me what version they were looking for. One of the assemblies was looking for a different version than was being supplied in the installation. It just so happened that the developers had an assembly with this revision on their machines so they did not see the problem.

DLL Hell fixed? Suuuuuuure it is. Anyway, I got around my issue and so we can close out the issue.

Richard Lewis Haggard

Sunday, June 5, 2011 5:48 PM
  • Hi Richard.Haggard,

Thanks for the update.

Based on my experience fusion log viewer is a very good tool to resolve this kind of issue. Did you try running it as Adminstrator?

Min Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:47 AM